IGNORED

Differential Output Shaft Stub Question

jmhtx

I've got a 1971 240Z that I am the third owner.  The PO swapped out the transmission for a 5 speed and at the same time swapped the rear diff.  The rear diff is marked as a 3.36 which I understand was the standard ratio on a 1971 manual (so I am confused why he changed it).  I have the original rear diff and axles, but looking at what is currently installed has me confused.  

Take a look at the pic, it seem that the output shaft stub is welded (not bolted) to the one of the end flange yoke.  Am I missing something or is this unusual (at best)?

Any recommendations on how proceed?  

I've been thinking about a Subaru WRX STI R180 rear diff with a 3.9 or 3.54 (with the side axles from Wolf Creek) and refurbishing the original axles (or even doing a CV conversion).  

2edvz82.jpg

15qrips.jpg

2ykjcyv.jpg

The early R180’s had bolt-in axles whereas the later R180’s used “snap-in” axles secured with a C-clip which is what you have. To remove the axles simply pry up evenly with a large screwdriver.

A wealth of info on the HybridZ forum:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/

You may have to be a member to view the photos.

The early R180’s had bolt-in axles whereas the later R180’s used “snap-in” axles secured with a C-clip which is what you have. To remove the axles simply pry up evenly with a large screwdriver.

The Nissan FMS's all the way to 1983 show bolt-in axles for the R180, not clip-in.  And the Hybriz link shows how to convert a newer Subaru clip-in diff to Nissan bolt-in.  But doesn't show a Nissan R180 clip-in diff.

Maybe Subari used a clip-in diff on their older models, and you have one of those, and somebody converted a halfshaft.  You can convert a half shaft by putting a different flange on the u-joint.  If the u-joint size is the same size.

So that is a weird one.

That's a Z diff. I think the 260Z used those. I have one and the matching half shafts in the garage. I don't think it clips in. It just slides in like a driveshaft. I'll try to look at mine tonight and get some pics.

Chuck

The Nissan FMS's all the way to 1983 show bolt-in axles for the R180, not clip-in.

The R180 diff used in the front of the 1979-80 720 4x4 truck used bolt-in axles, but the 1981-85 version had clip-in axles. I need to check on the R180 used in the 810's and Maxima's.

post-10650-0-79352900-1441051669_thumb.j

post-10650-0-36349000-1441051702_thumb.j

The R180s diagram above shows the 6 (3x2) bolt flange.  I assume that that's supposed to pop out and the four bolt flange and shaft pops in.  Someone on Hybridz had one of those though and the spline count was wrong, apparently.

Many ways to get confused with the R180's.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/123135-stub-axle-confusion/

If you blow up and lighten one of the pics from jmhtx in the OP, I think I see a center bolt, so I believe that these are the R180 bolt-in axles.

BTW, I checked on the 1981-85 Maxima and the one with the CV axles used clip-in axles with a R180 diff. Likewise for the 280ZX which had the R180 with CV axles. I actually have the Maxima R180 and its CV axles installed in my 1979 810.

post-10650-0-60903400-1441132298_thumb.j

post-10650-0-27411800-1441132311_thumb.j

Could be the old wild-goose chase.  Maybe the OP didn't look for the bolt and took bad pictures.  I gave the benefit of the doubt.

From this post and that Hybridz one though it seems that the CV flange clip-in axles have a different spline count.  There doesn't seem to be a clip in u-joint halfshaft option for a Nissan R180.  That;s the part I'm wondering about.