IGNORED

Totaled my 240z

240ZRamona

I have been keeping steadily working on my 72 240z since I bought it back in early December: total replacement of every single thing in the front suspension, brakes, master cyl, brake booster, new lines, engine tune up and rebuilding the dual carbs- ( that was a MF'ing chore), and so on. 

I got to drive it the first real drive last week- and she was perfect. My god, she wanted to go. Shifted perfectly, clutch felt great; brakes were very responsive. I didn't push it above 35 mph, it was the first time out, after all. I was cruising in the 240z, following my husband ahead of me in our truck. We were about a half a mile from home and approaching a busy intersection, so I put my foot on the brake to slow down and when I did I heard this loud bang- like a tire blowout, and then the pedal was gone- nothing happened. I panicked and tried to pull the emergency brake, which did nothing- either wasn't hooked up or seized. I had a choice to slam into the back of my husband's truck or go into oncoming traffic... so I slammed into the truck. The impact mangled the front end and the passenger front frame rail crumpled. 

I had full coverage, we were both okay, the truck was fine. But the Datsun is destroyed... and everyone I've dealt with (autobody, insurance, and some friends) has been- 'it's just a car'. Just heartless. I poured so much time and money and lots of blood and sweat into it- it was my dream car. My husband wants to use it to pay off some debt, and I know that's what I should do- but it doesn't replace my 240.

I'm sorry if I'm complaining, I have to get this off my chest.  I'm just so let down by this and I don't know if I even want another one.

Of course you want another one and should get one. The good news is that no one was injured. Cars can be replaced and new emotional bonds established. Start looking for your next Z.

You didn't mention what caused the brake failure. Any ideas?

Dennis

• Like 1

I don't know for sure, we thought maybe a brake line blew but we didn't see brake fluid under the vehicle. To be fair the radiator started 'geyser-ing' at the impact so there was a lot of commotion, and admittedly- I was hysterical.  The sound though- it sounded exactly like a tire blowout bang, so much so I thought that's what happened til the brake pedal was gone. 

Thank goodness you're okay, 240s aren't too safe in an accident.  Good thing your husband was there to take the hit.  Very sad to hear but like Dennis says "Cars can be replaced and new emotional bonds established. Start looking for your next Z."

Maybe you can buy it back from the insurance company or at least strip all the good stuff off before they get it.  Nice SUs are a treasure.

• Like 1

horrible story, so sorry to hear it.

take care of yourself first - you will likely be sore from the impact even though no outward injuries are apparent.

then take stock of what's left and get yourself another z. all the work you did on this one can be transferred to another one - knowledge, parts or both - and you will be ahead with a parts car to work with.

it's not "just" a car if you put your heart into it, but it is replaceable and the next one can be even better.

• Like 1

Gosh I am sorry to hear about your accident. How horrible for you, especially the first drive! Dear one, you need to take care of your emotions too. I know you are heartbroken. Remember, they say if you fall from a horse, get back on. You need a Z car, it is in your blood. Don't let anything stop you from reaching for the stars, you might get the Moon. My Dad used to tell me that, and it helped so much. It will be different, but it will be OK. Promise!

Take a deep breath...

Jai

Edited by Redwing

Like Zed Head said, it might not be as bad as it looks.  Rails can be replaced.  Find a rear ended Z and have the whole front clip cut off and replaced.  It's not an easy job, but it can be done.  At least you end up with the same Z.

Sorry to see a Z wrecked.  Glad you are OK.