IGNORED

Zed to replaced by XUV

northernz

Can't imagine that will really happen.  Place a sports car designator on an SUV and call it a new sports car?  Very unlikely.  Putting whipped cream and a cherry on cow poop does not make it an ice cream sundae.  Nissan and Renault know better than to do that.

Dennis

Nissan seems to be throwing out trial balloons left and right just to see who shoots at them. Personally, since the existing car is based on the RWD Infinity chassis I would be watching the direction that those cars are headed because that is more likely to be the direction of any future Z.

Here's the source article the Aussies picked up on: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-nissan-z-car-be-crossover

I can't argue with the trial balloon theory - that's what car shows and concept cars are all about.  The current Z platform has run its course and its very expensive to design and build a new one - and it cannot be only for a single model.  I suspect the Z is primarily a North American market vehicle and corporate-think needs it to be much larger audience.  The speculation of a current Renault platform as the next host is logical, even though not desired.

I personally hate the bastardization of the NISMO brand across so many vehicles, but that is what marketing is all about.  Every manufacturer does it to some degree.

Do you really think Nissan is going to use the Z name on a crossover?  You guys are responding to click bait.

Click bait. You mean like the website listed in your signature block? Every site listing in a message is "click bait". But not every site listing is harmful. I don't see the issue with the one in the original post. Care to elaborate on why you're concerned? I may be missing something.

Dennis

• Like 1

click·bait

ˈklikbāt/

noun
informal

noun: click bait

(on the Internet) content, especially that of a sensational or provocative nature, whose main purpose is to attract attention and draw visitors to a particular web page.

They used the words "scrap" and "shock" in the headline to sensationalize it and get site visits and clicks.  Its a poorly sourced article (a reprint from Autocar) based on a rumor from an "insider."  It conveys no solid information and exists only as click bait.  I will apologize if I'm wrong and we will know the answer by 9/28/15.  And my link below is not sensationalized or provocative in nature so it really can't be considered click bait.

Edited by John Coffey