IGNORED

Clutch Choices

CDL1542

Hi guys,

I recently picked up a 3.1L stroker for the Z that I'm going to swap into it in the next couple months and was hoping for an opinion on clutch choices. I actually already have two: a six puck clutch and a centerforce clutch. I got both of them with the engine and a 5 speed. I'm looking to maintain streetability through this evolution but I'm not sure which one is the best way to go and was hoping for opinions. Again, I have both of them brand new already so whichever one I don't use I'm just going to sell off anyway. Thoughts and opinions are very much appreciated! Thanks!

Chris

Edited by CDL1542

I would get specs. on the clutches and specs. on the engine and see if anything gets eliminated.  Then I'd consider how I plan to use the car.  If you'll have big tires and want to break the tires loose, use the strongest clutch.  If you'll be tooling around the city, only using roll-on power, consider pedal pressure, for driveablity.  Some of the high-perf. clutches have a pretty heavy pedal.  Also consider that the puck-type clutches generally chatter if your technique is off and can be a pain to drive.  I'm thinking Center Force unless you want to drag-race, and forget both of them if you want a comfortable clutch.  Maybe a 240 mm stock setup.  The Center Force has a heavy pedal, I think.

I agree with Zed go to the manufacturers websites. Many times they will have info for how much torque their clutches will hold. That will let you rank them. Also try to find reviews online but take them with a grain of salt.

I just put a Centerforce II on my 1972 240Z ITS race car. I really like it. It might be a little stiffer than stock but I can't really tell. It's very easy to use much like the stock clutch.

My 1972 240Z turbo has an ACT clutch. It's tricky to drive because it grabs so hard. It's a little like an Indy car where you have to rev the engine a lot when you release the clutch so it doesn't stall. Unless I really needed that stiff of a clutch I wouldn't buy it. The Centerforce II was the right choice for me.

Chuck

Thanks a lot guys, this really helped me set some suspicions straight on how grabby/violent (not really sure the word to use here) the six puck was over the centerforce and some things I've heard on both. I'm going to go with the centerforce clutch and pack the six puck back up and either hold onto it or sell it. Thanks!

Edited by CDL1542

I use the Centerforce II as well and it is mated to  Fidanza aluminum flywheel.  Couldn't be happier with the setup.  Most of my driving is "spirited street" driving and this setup is perfect for that.  Feels very similar to OEM but a little more responsive with the lightened flywheel.

Mike.

I use the Centerforce II as well and it is mated to  Fidanza aluminum flywheel.  Couldn't be happier with the setup.  Most of my driving is "spirited street" driving and this setup is perfect for that.  Feels very similar to OEM but a little more responsive with the lightened flywheel.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I have a lightened flywheel on there right now too so it should be a very similar clutch setup!