IGNORED

Restoring a 1977 280z! (My first z car)

Jacob Grimm

Hey guys! My name is Jacob, and this morning I purchased a 1977 280z for $750! I found it on craigslist and I couldn't believe my eyes! The only things I have found missing so far are the radiator and the ac compressor. I know this is gonna be a long process to make it like new, so I sure would love to have everybody's advice and help along the way. Posting pics in just a second!

post-30368-0-68592700-1439261662_thumb.j

post-30368-0-27726400-1439261674_thumb.j

post-30368-0-24792400-1439261682_thumb.j

post-30368-0-56040500-1439261691_thumb.j

post-30368-0-88827400-1439261700_thumb.j

post-30368-0-33358700-1439261708_thumb.j

post-30368-0-09442200-1439261716_thumb.j

post-30368-0-08893600-1439261723_thumb.j

post-30368-0-66516100-1439261732_thumb.j

post-30368-0-00457300-1439261741_thumb.j

post-30368-0-44914600-1439261747_thumb.j

post-30368-0-24526900-1439261769_thumb.j

Edited by SnakemanJake

Welcome to the Zed world and welcome to the forum. If you need any advice this is the place to ask. Your Zed looks like its around the same time as mine pre August, mid 1977.

Your missing a little too much like the AFM to get it up and running quickly and drive it around a bit. That would be nice to feel how it was before you did any restoration work on it. I drove mine around for 4 months before I started.

What are your restoration plans? I didn't have a plan all worked out, just started and went from there. Its now more or less a stock or stock looking restoration.

Enjoy

Yes, welcome to the disease.  Looks like you will be doing some serious cleaning just to find out where to begin.  

My suggestion would be to start a notebook on what needs you come across, then you can get a better idea where to start.  It will be easy to get overwhelmed at some point, but don't worry, it can be done!

I noticed that it is an early 77 with the slanted rear deck.  Just a heads up when it comes to carpet be sure to order specific for early 77.  The rear deck section is where it's a special fit.

Edited by gwri8
  • Like 1

Nice find.  Good body and a nice paint job.  Assume that many small parts will need replacing, like the brake master cylinder (no caps means moisture ingress), and try to save money on the new parts.  The nickels and dimes will add up quickly and you'll need to replace more parts than you think.  RockAuto.com is a place to spend time on.

Here are some links to browse.  A lot.

http://www.xenonzcar.com/

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/280z/

Here's a specific tip -assume that the distributor breaker plate is rusted together.  Take the distributor out and take the breaker plate off and examine it before trying to start the engine.  It might save you some money if you can refurbish it before you break the plastic ball bearing holder.

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah I have a basic running knowledge of cars, but I'm no expert. My dad was a mechanic for twenty years so he is gonna help me fix it up. What's the AFM? LOL. Yeah I already started writing down a list of stuff that I know I'll need without a doubt.vthanks for the website leads and the specific tips! I'm glad there's a place that I can get help on this project. The underside..... Well its got some rust. Nothing has wholes in it though so that's good. I'll post underside pics in a few minutes.

• Like 1

As said before, welcome to the disease!  For $750 I think you did really good.  You are right, you have a long road ahead of you but as long as everything is in good mechanical condition it should hopefully start up with minimal fuss once you have the Air Flow Meter (AFM).  There are TONS of resources on here and other sites regarding the proper starting procedure.  Did you get any history with the car?  Any idea why there is no radiator and why it was put for sale?

• Like 1

No there is no history for it unfortunately. The guy I bought it from found it in a repossessed house covered in dust. The title is lost, and he said he did some research on the title and it hasn't been titled since 1978 in Florida. Is be really curious to know is history myself LOL.

Welcome to the disease, as others has stated...

I find your photos interesting, fascinating..... You have a fine candidate for refreshing, restoring, or whatever you wish.

Pic #5 (.....411.jpg) shows an intact battery tray, as well as pic #7 (.....491.jpg)

Usually this area succumbs mother nature and father rust. (no sexism implied)

Can you do a favor and post odometer, gas/brake/clutch pedal pictures and door frame VIN pictures?

I have a feeling that the odometer may indicate actual mileage....

As you stated it has not been titled since 1978, perhaps you may want to investigate when was it last registered. Can you identify the license plate as shown in Pic #10 (......271.jpg)? It looks somewhat European or even homemade to me.

Do you have any other information on the back story of this? Did you pull it out of a garage or barn to put it on your trailer?

Good find regardless of your answers - and now, a shameless self--plug...... be sure and download the wiring diagram for the '77 (in color) here (go to the end of the post and download the latest version) http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/11727-color-wiring-diagram-for-280z/

Good luck - this site has almost all of the info you need... perhaps all of it if you dig deep 'nuff.

Wayne

<edit - missed all the squiggly red lines for spelling errors>

Edited by wal280z