IGNORED

'71 rear cylinder rebuild kit?

markvanderhill

The 72-76 wheel cylinders are just fine, other than needing to re-do the hard line since the entry point on the slave is oriented differently. Not perfect, but a very reasonable solution. Rockauto even lists the wheel cylinder kits for 72-76.

I bought mine from rockauto.com, $30 I think.  Had to bend the hardline like zKars says.  One thing that made for less bending was to swap the hardlines from right to left and vice versa.  Not stock but darn close.  Or you could buy the right angle inlet from MSA for $200 each.

Thinking back there was something about the adjuster arm I had to redo after I had them both on.  Seems like it had to be bent to catch the adjusting wheel notches, when I pulled the E-brake nothing happened and it should have. :huh:  

I'm a little confused as to what it is that you're looking to buy. I assume the answers are obvious, but it's my job...

If you're looking for rebuild kits for your 70-71 cylinders Rockauto lists two options. Rockauto, however, does not list replacement wheel cylinders for 70-71. But your original post makes it sound like you're wanting to rebuild your original cylinders, not replace.

And for the 72-76 cylinders, Rockauto lists both replacement cylinders AND rebuild kits.

So exactly what is it that you're looking for?

Thanks for trying. The cylinders are different on early model / late model S30's. RockAuto lists those early model rebuild kits. LISTS them. When you go to actually purchase them they come back out of stock. Happened at two other places too. I need parts, not pictures of parts. So I decided a couple posts up to swap to newer model cylinders.

Gotcha. So Rockauto has phantom stock.

Well I don't know what's wrong with your existing wheel cylinders, but I think they're all the same internal bore (7/8 inch). If your external dust boots are OK and the problem is the internal piston seal, maybe the piston seal from the newer 72-76 rebuild kits would still work for your older cylinder?

There really isn't much else in the kits beyond the seal, dust boot, and bleed nipple cap, right? Is the rubber boot to the backing plate included and is it the same one for both first and second designs?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, for all the info. I just started looking for rebuild kits, too. I had the same happen at Rock Auto and NAPA.

Surprised MSA and Courtesy didn't even have them listed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KAMKA-Z