IGNORED

E88 head in a Series 1 car?

loudoun

My father just bought a Series 1 automatic. It has an E88 head in it vs the E31 which I suppose should be there. The block is original to the car. Does anyone have an idea why someone would swap an E88 in for an E31?  I ask, as I can pick up a local E31.

Thanks!

Loudoun

Seems to me that possibly the E31 had an issue and it was replaced with an E88. Blown head gasket warped head maybe?

There is very little difference between E31 and early E88s just a stamp on the side of the head difference really...

Not exactly true Gav. Depends on which version of the head. That e88 might have been on there for the last 44 years. Overheated warped head would or could have been easily replaced with a newer head, thus the e88.

You can still find an e31 if you want the proper head for year car.

They started using the E88 heads around November 1970 so you probably still have the original head.

The 240Z in the US had 2 or 3 versions of the E88. Some people say it was 3 versions, some say 2 versions.

Dates not confirmed. Might be a month off in the change overs.

I. E88 Vertually the same as the E31. Nov 1970 - Aug 1971

II. E88 Port runners redesigned.  Aug 1971 - Jul 1972

III. E88 Chambers altered slightly for emmisions Jul 1972 - End 240Z

IV. E88 260Z. Emmision chambers and bigger exhaust valve.

• Like 1

I am able to pick up an E31 locally for $100, so I will probably do that.  However, the question of when the E31 ended remains.  I have Series 1 cars 14060 and 10278.  Both have E31s.  Did the automatic Series 1 cars come with E88 or were they E31 as well?

I'm working with the E31 and an early E88 right now.  The only difference I can see is the hump around the spark plug hole on the E88.  Later E88 I have has a deeper combustion chamber, about a 1/4" drop around the fire ring where the E31 & early E88 are maybe 1/8".  Barely enough to catch a fingernail, if I had fingernails.  LOL

Are you planning a complete restoration and want to get the period (actually VIN range) head on it?  A poll of VIN numbers and head ID's might tell the story.  If you're doing a restore you might be removing the right head and installing the wrong one.  If you're not doing a restore, why replace it?