IGNORED

Hella H4 Conversion headlamps don't fit

TomoHawk

I got a set of hella H4 conversion headlamps, and I tried them to see how it fits.  The H4 bulb goes in fine, then you put the rubber cover on, and when you try to put the lamp into the bucket, the rubber cover hits, so it doesn't fit.  It will fit though, with the rubber cover off.

Can you do anything besides leave the rubber cover off?  I thought of putting a ring of dielectric grease around the bulb flange, so when you clamp it in, it should seal water out.

Is there any other tips?

I know this might not work for you, but since I don't drive my car in the wet, I'd leave the boots off and take my chances.

Are the bulb housings you purchased different than the ones they sell in the H4 packages for our cars? I haven't looked into it, but I'd be surprised if the upgrade packages have problems like this. Do they use shallower housings or something?

I'm sure you won't like this idea, but you could always cut the back of the bucket out like I did:P1070046_zpswooyqvkk.jpg

I think there is enough depth, but the neck, where the connector is, is just to small for the rubber seal to fit.

post-1411-0-26979400-1438266380.jpg

I think the dielectric grease will seal it enough for some occasional splashing.  I'm not intending to go underwater!  Haha  LOL

Edited by TomoHawk

I doubt the dielectric grease will melt. I was going to suggest RTV instead of the grease though. I mean, how many times do you think you'll be in there changing bulbs? Hopefully never.

I don't think you need a hi-temp RTV grade either. I'm sure it doesn't get hot enough to warrant that. I just worry about the duct tape adhesive though. I've seen it get gummy slidey when used on a hot car surface in the sun. Then after a couple months, it dries out and doesn't stick anymore. Adhesive turns to powder.

My first thought would be to use some of the non-permanent peelable RTV that they sell for temporary winterizing of your windows.