IGNORED

Rear Brake shoe options for street?

Stanley

Time to undo previous crap brake job; putting new everything front and rear.  Shop will do it while I try to finish jobs and make rent money before the 1st.

Not a lot of options at part store. Ordered Stop-tech semi-metallic pads about $30 for front at amazon, trying to find something to match for rear shoes.

MSA has some rear shoes (valley, they said, couldn't find online) for $70. Local store has Wagner premium PAB-411 for $27. Autozone has Duralast about $20. NAPA TS-411 also $20. Raybestos NLA.

Went to Porterfield site, they have a bunch but I guess it would be R-4S 411 shoes for $99 and R-4S front pads for $70. Considering all the cylinders, drums, calipers, etc. I ordered, plus labor, not so bad.

Never race officially except test 'n tune, but want best stoppage for freeway and twisties.

Edited by Stanley

I run the Porterfield R4S on the rear of my endurance race car along with the R4E compound up front.  The fronts last one 24 hour race and the rears are still going strong after about 100 hours of racing and track days.

For the street, I'd run the R4S all the way around.  Upgrade to ATE or Motul brake fluid and MSA braided hoses.  You will be very happy with the feel and power.  R4S should be quiet as well.

I buy my Porterfields from Livermore Performance in CA.

Edited by Jeff G 78

One thing I remember from installing new shoes was that the shoes were shaped for a larger diameter drum.  So only the leading and trailing edges made contact.  It took quite a while for them to wear in to where they gave good stopping power.  Quite a few click cycles on the parking brake.

If I was looking for quick wear-in to the proper diameter I'd have them cut down on a lathe.  They were surprisingly far off.  Would have been big even for a turned drum.

That was my point.  I don't know.  All I know is that they were too big.  Didn't make sense unless they were for drums that had been turned to a much larger size.  But there's not that much meat there.

Just something to check.  My parts store stuff may have been of low quality, poor specs.  Easy to see just by setting the show in the drum.

Re the brand of brake shoes that MSA sells, I think you mis-heard the sales rep.  It's 'Valeo' -- one of Europe's largest automotive parts manufacturers for both OE and aftermarket applications.  You can review their service parts catalogue here:

http://www.valeoservice.com/html/export/en/produits.catalogueproduits.php

Valeo started out in business in the 1920's as 'Ferodo' making brake and clutch linings.  They moved into heaters and air conditioning systems ('SOFICA' brand) in the 1960's, and then into electrical systems ('Marchal' and 'Cibie' brands) in the 1970's.  Originally a French company.  Tt now has plants all across Europe, as well as in the USA, South America and China.

Edited by Namerow

• 2 weeks later...

Got it done yesterday. Was dissatisfied by results of previous brake jobs, one 8 years ago by myself and one recently. Performance after those brake jobs was about like before, not great.

So, R4S's , steel braid hoses, rotors turned, new or reman everything else including new master cylinder and aluminum drums (turned), and very competent shop doing the work. All done at once so don't know what made the biggest difference.

Not bedded yet, but very noticeable improvement. More noticeable at higher speed / harder braking. Did a bunch of tests for fun. Thanks for advice. Will keep distance from cars ahead and watch the cars behind me, so my better brakes don't get me in trouble with texters and tailgaters.

• Like 1