IGNORED

ABARTH Exhaust Any comments

Marine240z

http://www.abarth-exhausts.com/datsun/

Does anyone have any experience with these.  I am in the middle of complete engine rebuild, and am increasing the piston 2mm.  Am also upgrading the head with mild performance cam, port/polish etc.  Higher performance will necessitate a better breathing exhaust system.

The system was designed available specifically for the 240Z  ( 70-73) by Abarth, as an aftermarket add on. It is a bolt on, no modification needed.

This particular exhaust is a new, 35 year old NOS that is still in the original wrapping.

All comments or suggestions appreciated, I want to stay with OE/original period aftermarket parts rather than a modified modern muffler system if possible.

Marine240z 

There is a guy called Ling or something that used to sell the stuff here in Nederland. I think its old stock he was selling. Looked like it had been in storage for a while.

I have seen a couple of his systems at an Oldtimer day at Zandvoort raceway here in the Netherlands. Abarth systems some awsome, but the systems I saw were no bigger than 2". I think it was intended to give the "standard" 240Z a sportier sound.

Chas, Yes this is new old stock NOS, I found an old ad in a 1973 Car and Driver magazine on this system, supposedly it was designed as a free flowing system used in racing applications.  The French swear by them and the ad claims to increase h.p. as well.  I am going to order it and will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for your comments.

Lon

Lon I have the Abarth on my car. I bought it off of a member here and only have the muffler. I am using the stock resonator so I do not know how much difference that will make. It is a touch on the loud side, but with a nice deep sound. I have had a few people surprised that it is the stock motor when they hear it run. As well I think it is a very nice looking setup. Here is what it looks like on my car.
Dan

post-14269-0-85904700-1437238617_thumb.j

post-14269-0-76384700-1437238670_thumb.j

post-14269-0-93192900-1437238719_thumb.j

• Like 1

I was unsure about the size exhaust pipe. Seemed small.

That seems to stick in my memory as well. Its going back 3 years this September. Like I said in the ealier post, It sounds awsome. Not what you would expect from a 240Z. I like the over under style of the rear muffler

I remember Abarth back when I had a Fiat 127. It had a sports air cleaner from Abarth. I think Abarth worked very closly with Fiat or Fiat may have been part owner. It was farely popular with the Fiat guys. Back in the early eighties they had a Fiat Ritmo 125TC that was designed by Abarth. It was christened the Golf GTI killer. Abarth was a bit like what BRE was for Datsun.

Thanks for all the super feedback, I think that any aftermarket item that was approved for the Z in the 70's adds value.  The exhaust system is such a key component to proper engine maintenance and tuning I can only believe that this Z inspired design will not only look and sound good, but will contribute to it's overall performance.

I believe that the person running the booth is the same person that I purchased the system from. I remember him saying something about attending a show.

Being a new contributor and 240z owner I am slowly getting up to speed on all the national Z events.   Will keep you posted on my thoughts on this system once it is up and running.

Lon 

Dan your right the over/under tail looks really great!  Are you running stock tubing or larger diameter?

Edited by Marine240z

• 1 year later...

I just got my 280Z Arbath system with resonator. One of those while Im at it projects. Had the downpipe off to weld in an adapter for the O2 sensor for the new ECU.

It will be a couple of weeks or more before I can fit it and see how it sounds.

20170208_172844.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...