IGNORED

Original air cleaner have enough air for a modified 280zx transplant

SledZ

2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Can we fit the SVT F150 filter on to our Z cars.  How big is it?  I'd take a shot at it.

And is the same technology used in other Ford filters or just the SVT?

Good stuff, real world, thanks for sharing.

Hmmm, that was a long time ago, so I really don't remember the exact size of the filter, but I think it's more square than the 280Z panel filter.  Obviously, it's way different that the 240Z oval filter.

8 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I drove a svt lightning supercharged f -150. Probably the fastest vehicle I've ever driven.

Jeff that head will be shipped tomorrow,  I promise! Things keep popping up beyond my control. Excuses suck so please forgive me.

Cliff

In its day, the Lightning was fast, but since then, we've really stepped things up.  The '13 - '14 GT500 makes the Lightning feel slow.  It is crazy fast.

No rush on the head!!!!  LOL

Here's me on a race track in an old Lightning media picture.

Lightning at Grattan.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am not an expert, but last fall I had my Z on the dyno and found that taking off the K&N air filter on my airbox that services the Webers added 10HP. So, there is some restriction no matter the claim they make. I'm too chicken to run around without an air filter, though, so I put it back on after we got the car off the dyno. I can't say what they filter out or if I oiled the filter properly...just what I observed. I figure the filter does more than the screens you can put on the air horns, but I don't know this for sure. Anyone run just the screens? Also, the box lets me collect air from in front of the headers.

BTW, you can't really see the air filter in the photo, it's at the end of the hose in front of the radiator. I've since moved it to the end of the airbox thinking the hose might be adding some restriction, too, I just don't have a photo.

CIMG2059.JPG

On 1/20/2016 at 8:11 PM, Stanley said:

I see K&N has these http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=E-3190PL for those with the round chrome air cleaners and velocity stacks. They look a little cheezy for the price, but after reading this I might get some anyway. Don't know if they do much.

this kind of sounds like they know their filters dont catch small stuff

The K&N PreCharger® filter wrap is specially designed to extend the service interval of your K&N Filtercharger filter when used in very dusty conditions. They are made from durable polyester material containing a uniform weave. The PreCharger will stop small dirt particles with minimal restriction to the airflow of the filter

Grannyknot--it was my first gig at fabrication. I designed the on Solid Works and cut it out on a CNC table. I had to keep the design simple as my skills are pretty crude. It works, though, as I wanted something that would come off quickly so I could synch the carbs in a hurry.

Granny, I don't think he carved that whole thing out of one solid chunk.

I think he meant that he cut out the rectangular sections on the CNC table and then after all the cutting was done, he welded the edges together and the intake tube in place. And had material leftover for the fancy CNC cut nameplate!