IGNORED

chain tensioner gasket?

madkaw

Don't ever remember using a gasket there before. Last rebuild I didn't use one. The ' how to rebuild' book says don't forget it!

It is 2 machined surfaces so it probably seals okay without it.

This gasket I have seems incomplete, so I don't want to use it.

Dilemma!

It reminds me of when I rebuilt my 1980 Kawasaki 1000 motor. No gaskets between the casing halves. When I asked Schnitz Racing about it, the mechanic said he uses nail polish sometimes. I just kind of looked dumb at him. He said it's Japanese precision, doesn't need gaskets. They might put a thin layer of that stuff you have Cliff, and that's it.

The motorcycle engine does not use a gasket becasue it will affect the bearing clearance and is not predictable enough to include in such a critical location.

The Nissan service manual shows a gasket, so it should have one. Leaving it out probably won't cause any problem but if the fit-up is not very good the oil leak could degrade the tensioner performacne somewhat. I would make a gasket myself from a sheet of gasket paper as suggested by DJ. If you don't use a gasket at least make sure there are no burrs or gouges on the mating surfaces.