IGNORED

Block painting question

I've got my block and am ready for assembly.  Should I put the crank and pistons in before paint or after?  I use Permatex assembly lube and I'm scared I'll get it onto the new paint.  I was thinking install the crank and pistons, paint the block then put the expansion plugs in.  I could put 1 coat on then assemble, shoot it again?

Advise me, please!

Cliff

Paint the block bare.  Use good engine paint and it will not get damaged from oils, lube, etc.  If you wait to paint it, you will likely get some oils on the block and the paint will not adhere.

post-7184-0-99831200-1435947584_thumb.jp

post-7184-0-01548100-1435947599_thumb.jp

post-7184-0-97284100-1435947676_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This week i bought an engine from a partly disassembled datsun 240z.. including the very rare european 240z 5 speed gearbox in good condition for a set that has been meandering on a scrap yard..

Nice story to it.. the yard had to move and everything had to go and from under a lot of parts came this car, laying there for 25 or more year!  The son asked his dad.. shall i take the engine out or put it completely into the shredder?  Luckely he took it out..  I'm very happy that i could buy this increasingly rare engine block, incl. starter, manifolds, generator, etc.

It is a late 240z block, sn:180722 or around there..   My question:  It has a red engine block.. is that Original or are all 240z blocks that special blue color?

I'm shure it came out of a 240Z  not a 260.. Also its a euro version!  No airpump or air inlets on the exhaust manifold etc.... makes it pretty rare!

My '71 240z has a blue engineblock.. is red not Original?

Grts,Mart