IGNORED

New bushings - car seems to slide back & forth - bumps, shifting

Redwing

I had a local mechanic put in new bushings all around. When finished, car makes a thumping noise. She seems to feel loose and rattle back and forth when shifting, going over bumps, and foot off gas and replaced. The mechanic says it is nothing they did. Could it be they did not tighten everything back? Any ideas what it could be?

Thank you.

Does that have any connection with the rear bushings? They were to put in struts too, but the people who prepared it for sale had already put new struts in. So they went in there, but did not put more struts in.

Thank you

I had a local mechanic put in new bushings all around. 

Do you have a list of what was replaced, and what they were replaced with?  Factory bushings or aftermarket?

There are a lot of bushings on the car.  

And, why did you have the bushings replaced?  Is the car worse, the same, or better but still not good, now?

Edited by Zed Head

Check the strut mounts up top, they might be loose. This reminds me of a time when I took my 4runner in for service because of some random "thumps". I told them " i think its the u joints in the driveshaft", they ended up replacing the rack and pinion instead. It was way worse when I picked it up. All the bolts were loose and some were missing. It ended up being the U joints. 

Just got finished fixing a similar problem on my car.  In my case to was loose rear inner control arm bolts/ bushings.  Not too hard to check on your own.  It takes a 24mm wrench.  The torque is supposed to be 115 ft/lbs.

Edited by Montana Z

I think these are the bushings. They were replaced because the old ones were crumbling.

On ebay, item number 4100580223239 A whole box of them.

Energy Suspension Polyurethane Hyper-Flex System

1974-1978 Nissan Datsun 260Z 280Z

Energy Part # 7.18102R

Hyper Flex Kit Includes:

Front Control Arm Bushings

Rear Control Arm Bushings

Front Strut Rod Bushings

Front Bump Stops

Rear Bump Stops

Rack and Pinion Bushings

Differential Carrier Mustache Bar Bushings

Front End Links

Tie Rod End Boots

Transmission Crossmember Bushings

Rear Sway Bar Bushings

Rear End Link Bushings

Putting the whole box of bushings on your car would be thousand dollar job to me. It's a lot of work. Some I couldn't get to until I pulled the motor. The rear control arm bushings are still left over in the box. But you're an honest lady so I'd charge you less. Smiley face emoticon.

Read the tech tips under SUSPENSION. You'll see the hyper flex install. In red like yours.

Edited by siteunseen