IGNORED

What's My Car Worth?

rdefabri

Apologies if this has been posted already, I didn't see it.  Was watching an episode of "What's My Car Worth" and there was a '71 240Z featured.  This car had Panasports and lens covers, but appeared to be in decent shape and otherwise stock.

The assessor (I think his name is Josh) said it was a condition 3 car - I thought it was at least a 2.  He did cite the non-standard items.

The owner thought the car would go for $20K at auction.  Keith Martin said $22K.  The car got $23K - nice number for a nice car.

Martin did a little profile, and compared the 240Z to the Porsche 911 of the same era.  He owned one, and noted that it did almost everything right, and absolutely smoked the British sports cars of the time.

Nicely done, and I appreciated the coverage.  Anyone else catch it?

Yep.....I thought it was in line with where they should be. Hard to say from seeing a car in a picture or in person. They said the paint was a little lacking......these cars are going to new heights, but only the pristine examples, and they still don't bring what's invested to get them to that stage......but are closer. IMO

Good Press is Good Press I guess. They did say the market for Z's is on fire right now - and this can become a self fulfilling prophesy.

I suppose Japanese headlight covers and over riders are after market add-ons, but I don't know how that deducts from its value or condition. Having been to a Mecum auction, I can say there can be a large difference in how a car appears on television and how it really shows in person.

What they didn't say is that it was a Series I car titled in '71 and may have therefore enjoyed a bump.

Take 16% off the price (8% seller and 8% buyer) and you'll get a rough idea of the non-auction value.  

Friend of mine, who goes to them, just told me it's a $1500 fee up front for Mecum and BJ. Then 8% on both sides for Mecum and 10% for BJ. Plus transportation costs to get them there.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm not keeping up and this post is kinda late, but I watch Keith Martin's show quite often and it was the first 240Z I have seen featured on "What's My Car Worth". The car presented probably represents the condition of most Zcars we hope to see at local car shows and national events. In his magazine "Sports car Market Magazine" he has noted the rising prices of the near original condition cars with mild mods in his magazine when they sell in the $30-$40K range.   In his magazine or newsletter he has highlighted some of the near concourse condition and extremely rare GTR powered Fairlady Z  432 car which are bringing approximately $100K at auction this year.