IGNORED

Lifting engine & tranny from the side?

I've got a decision to make, buy a 1 ton cherry picker and come at it from the side or buy a larger hoist and come in from the front.  I've got limited space for storing the thing I'll use maybe once a year.  Do many people do it this way?

Thanks for any replies,

Cliff

image_26204.jpg

I used the cheapo 1 ton harbor freight model & was able to pull the engine out from the front.  I needed to take the front bumper off and valance/grill.  A load-leveler really helps too

IMG_0842.JPG

• Like 1

I pulled it from the front using a folding cherry picker that I borrowed from a friend.  After disconnecting everything the motor came out in under 15 minutes.  I think the trick was pulling it at such a steep angle and having 2 guys guide the motor out while the third worked the lift.  The black block is on its way in, the blue one was being removed

post-22465-0-16674800-1432931238_thumb.j

post-22465-0-67316200-1432931333_thumb.j

Edited by Kurbycar32
  • Like 1

Could the motor come out from the side without all the hassle?  I've got a 3 car garage and the one in the middle is the project stall, so I would have more room from the side.

Thanks for the repiles everybody, I'm trying to figure an easier way.

I guess I could just try it and see?  :rolleyes:

When I pulled my engine for its overhaul, I pulled from the side and even left the hood installed - but I pulled it without the transmission attached.

Here are some significant points:

Pulled the radiator;

Removed the carbs, alternator, starter, fan and fan clutch;

Unmounted the AC compressor from the air pump location and hung it from the inner fender;

Removed the AC mount bracket;

Disconnected the down pipe, throttle linkage, vacuum lines, gas lines, and ignition wiring;

Since I have an AT, disconnected the torque converter;

Used jack stands and removed the front passenger tire to gain clearance for the hoist; 

Supported the transmission;

Measured the tilt angles (fore-aft and clockwise) with a digital level to facilitate a one man re-installation;

Removed the bolts from the front engine mounts;

Used a load leveler attached to the rearmost exhaust manifold stud and a threaded hole on the right side of the block;

Removed the bell housing bolts;

Lifted the engine to clear the front mounts and rechecked the transmission support;

Slid the engine forward to uncouple the transmission;

Lifted the engine, adjusting the tilt with the load leveler to clear the hood as required.

Take photos - lots of photos - especially before disconnecting any wiring or hoses.

During re-installation, I used a ratcheting tie down strap as a third hoist point to get the correct clockwise rotation. I also left the manifolds off until installed.

Removing the engine with the transmission attached will require hood removal. I have no idea how much clearance in front of the vehicle would be required. 

You can remove the engine-transmission from the front with the car half out of the garage and then push the car back in afterwards because you won't have the transmission hanging.

• Like 1

If your garage has sturdy framing you can use a come-along and move the car, then drop the engine on to a dolly.  It makes people nervous if they haven't done any woodwork though.  You can spread the load with an extra beam.

• Like 1

That's what I'll do Mr Warner, push it half way outside and come in from the front.  If you had to remove tires anyway it'll be the same as what i ran into when I pulled it.  That's a very good list you've posted (it's exactly what I did except the hood is in my spare bedroom LOL) for anyone else that will be removing their motor. :) 

I've got a low ceiling down there so my winch idea didn't work, even with a steel bar through 3 floor joist.  Thank you though Zed Head.

After seeing that Jarvo used the 1 ton from Harbor Fright that's what I'm buying.

Thanks again for all the help, y'all are the best!