IGNORED

L24 vs L28ET

I just took my 1973 240z off the PO's truck and put it in the garage this weekend. As I start to assess the situation I've been thinking about the possible drivetrain options open to me. The block is not the original, and I cording to the PO it's been bored to 0.020 over stock. I haven't gotten in there to check which block I actually have, but plan to next weekend when I get in and power wash the whole car. It does have round tops already, though.

So the main question I have right now, assuming it is a 1973 L24, is what is the overal impact of switching to an L28ET?

I like the idea of getting hydraulic lifters, electronic ignition, the R200, and the T5 in a system that was designed to work together and isn't a cobbled together hack job. However, I'm concerned about the potential to need to cut or weld the car in any way, and while the engine isn't the matching original, it is much more stock right now, which might be better in other ways.

I'm very curious to hear what people's experience is in this area.

Edited by Matthew

So the main question I have right now, assuming it is a 1973 L24, is what is the overal impact of switching to an L28ET?

I like the idea of getting hydraulic lifters, electronic ignition, the R200, and the T5 in a system that was designed to work together and isn't a cobbled together hack job.

Overall - more power, different sound, different on-throttle behavior.

The second part is on you.  Everything's a bolt-on, except the T5, which only takes minor modification to install.  And the T5 is generally thought to be over-rated.  Good intentions, not well-executed by Nissan.  The 71B has does fine for numerous high-power engines.  You could even convert your L24 to hydraulic lifters if you wanted, but nobody ever does that.  Most go the other way with the turbo engines.

Many have said it already, but you should really get what you have running, drive it, then decide what you want.  

Didn't realize you were planning to sell the car already.  So the real question is "will this car be worth more with a turbo engine or with the L24 that's in it?".  

From what I've seen, the only modified Z cars that make a profit are those that are very well-done, by a professional shop.  Otherwise, it's always just some guy trying to sell his own personal vision of what modifications he thought were worth doing.  The ads always say spent lots of money so the car is worth lots of money.  But they never get it.  

The other side of the spectrum is people who want to modify and drive their own personal vision.  They like to start with an unmodified car.  So, your best path to making a profit is probably to just clean up what you have, fix the PO's mistakes (his vision, like the bondo roof), make it more presentable, and sell it.  Maybe get it running with as little money spent as possible.

Basically, flip it quick like one of the car shows on TV.

Edit - forgot to say, the "turbo swap" is nowhere near as easy to do as the internet makes it sound.  After your budget gets nickel and dimed to a huge number, you'll probably have an engine that almost runs okay.  The forums are full of turbo swap problems.

Edited by Zed Head

I think he's saying dumping money into the L24 motor that he may not keep???

I don't know about New Jersey, but in Alabama you could put a jet turbine in the car and never get to turn it up unless you're planning on going to a race track.  The police are terrible right now, they're broke and pulling people over left and right to make they're payday or their "brothers" get laid off from work.  

I like high RPMs but with a header and 2.5" exhaust it's almost impossible around here.  Aren't the roads pretty bumpy up there too?  You could build a rocket but only get to talk about how fast it is.  :)

I'm building a decent E31 cylinder head with a bigger, smaller actually in size, cam kit.  Easily removed for the stock E88 if I decided to sale the car.

Oops.  I read it backwards.  Or sideways.  The L28ET will take a lot of money-dumping also.  I'll stick with the basics then, drive the car first with whatever inexpensive engine that can be found.  You just can't make an informed decision until you've driven the car.  He might decide he doesn't like straight sixes at all and go V8.

And you can't even find a used turbo engine these days for less than $600, probably $1200 or more.  Then you have to do engine management, wiring, exhaust system, new drive shaft if he goes T5, etc.  It's a big big project.  That second big is not a typo.

I meant dumping cash into an engine I'm not keeping. Not the car.

In general, freeway speeds on I80 or I78 in NJ average about 85mph to flow with traffic. I frequently do high nighties cruising in the afternoon on the weekends to get out to the west of the state where my extended family is. People drive pretty nuts out here with all their German metal.

Add to that my aggressive driving tendencies and a distaste for being behind people and you get the picture.

So what I'm hearing is that the L28Et and the R200 are bolt in but I'm better off with an earlier 5-speed if I don't want to cut or weld, which I don't. I guess now the question is what's the cost of that change and what am I really getting for it?

Edited by Matthew

. I frequently do high nighties cruising in the afternoon on the weekends to get out to the west of the state where my extended family is. 

Please...even though there is a Boobs thread, this is generally not that kind of forum.