IGNORED

KYB GR2 vs Tokico HP review

1976 280Z with Eibach springs and Tokico Blues

I've been dissatisfied with the Tokico HP Blues in my car for some time. As many others have noted, these shocks seem to have too much compression valving and not enough rebound. This makes for a very uncomfortable harsh ride. The rear is particularly bad with feeling that the shocks are seized or that the car is riding on the bump stops. That's been checked and both shocks and bump stop clearance is good. The shocks are just plain harsh. I've had Race cars that rode better.

Had some Tokico Illumina's ordered from MSA, but it turns out there inventory count was off. 2-3 months to get more. In desperation I ordered some KYB GR2

's from Rock Auto. Shocks were dirt cheap and I needed something in a hurry as I have some long trips planned.

Had them installed and really wasn't expecting much in terms of performance. They're a street shock and I was expecting that they might be too soft.

I was pleasantly surprised with these shocks. The ride of the car has been transformed. No more pitching and banging about. The shocks just soak up the bumps and the car is very comfortable now. Bloody good for a 39 year old car.  Minimal dive under braking and the nose doesn't pitch up under acceleration. Could use a bit more rebound in the front for Auto cross etc, but for the street, the combination of the Eibach springs and KYB GR2's seems to be nearly perfect. I would not hesitate to recommend these shocks to anyone with a stock or mild to medium " Sport " suspension.

I might eventually get a set of Koni Yellows for the front if I can find them, Or even some Classic Reds. That way I can increase the front rebound a bit more. But I like the smooth rear valving of the KYB's. It's just perfect.

• Like 4

I'm happy to read this when I did. I have a set of Eibachs and the Tokico HPs in my cart at MSA right now, and was planning to pull the trigger tonight. I'll have to check out the GR2's first. Thanks for posting

Just a note, the Eibach springs lower the car a bit. Make sure, but I recall reading the KYBs are stock replacement struts, and are not meant to be used with lowering springs.  I could be mistaken, but just a note.  

Chickenman, you are correct with the harsh compression on the tokico HP.  I just put some new ones in mine.  And while it is FAR better than what it use to be with the Tokico springs/tokico HP shock combo I was running it is not what I would call soft by any means.  Taught but controlled comes to mind.  Now running new tokico HP and Eibachs, which has transformed my car into a wonderful daily driver that can really take corner better than it has in 40 years. 

Just a note, the Eibach springs lower the car a bit. Make sure, but I recall reading the KYBs are stock replacement struts, and are not meant to be used with lowering springs.  I could be mistaken, but just a note.  

Chickenman, you are correct with the harsh compression on the tokico HP.  I just put some new ones in mine.  And while it is FAR better than what it use to be with the Tokico springs/tokico HP shock combo I was running it is not what I would call soft by any means.  Taught but controlled comes to mind.  Now running new tokico HP and Eibachs, which has transformed my car into a wonderful daily driver that can really take corner better than it has in 40 years. 

Just got back from a weekend trip up to Kelowna BC. Beautiful weather and some fantastic road sections on the Hope - Princeton Hwy. The KYB's have a nice damping force for Touring, but I think the Eibachs are a bit soft, especially up front. I have big MSA sway bars front and rear, but the car rolls a bit more than I'd like. Mind you the CG is also a bit higher than I'd like. I run 225/50x16 Conti DW's on the car and with the Eibachs it's perched up in the air a bit too much. Lower than stock, but not quite low enough. Winter project I guess.

I need to go stiffer in front spring rate and rebound and the car needs to be lowered by about another 1" to 1.5". Then it would be perfect. Mind you, I'd have to switch out to 205/50x 16" if the car was any lower. Got a bit of tire rub on some high speed " Rollers ", but nothing to worry about.

Regarding KYB saying that these shocks are not for " Lowered " cars. I think that's a recommendation for " Race springs " that drop the car 2" or more. Primarily because the KYB shocks do not have stiff enough valving to handle the much stiffer race springs. They can handle about a 20% increase in rate... but not much more.

Recommendation has nothing to do with bottoming out the shock, as they have lots of travel and as long as you use some sort of " Bump stop " on the shock absorber shaft you cannot physically bottom out the shock..

I would not consider the Eibach's to be a " lowering spring " in the conventional sense. They are more like a " Sport "spring or a " Euro " spring. A bit stiffer and a bit lower... but nothing extreme by any means. Nice ride for Touring, but not adequate for serious Autocross or other Competition IMHO.

Edit: Did some investigating and I found out that the Eibach's are apparently progressive springs in the front for the 280Z. That explains the initial " soft " feel up front in roll. I generally do not like " Progressive " springs and I would NEVER use them up front. I always use Linear rate springs on all of my cars.  ( I've Autocrossed, Hillclimbed and Road Raceed for many years )

The Eibach's will be coming out in the winter. Time to dig out my Moog spring catalog again.

Edited by Chickenman

For anyone who's had the chance to compare the two, does the Illumina adjustment range make them more livable than Tokico HPs for a mild street-suspension upgrade - or just more expensive? I have access to Illuminas but still haven't seen this settled. Hoping for subjective, seat-of-the-pants input rather than theory, if anyone's spent time with both options. Car has tired KYBs now and is due for attention.