IGNORED

Would you give $4000 for this car?

Patcon

I was browsing for projects. I don't need one but you never know. I might find the perfect car to supplant my other projects. I like to look out West because the cars have less rust. Found this

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/cto/4982451262.html

Thoughts? I won't do it but I have seen a number of cars that are $4-500 cars in my opinion but are starting to be priced a lot higher. Not saying this is a $500 car but a $4000 car? What do you all think?

I always get a little concerned when a seller starts out be telling you he's honest. On a scale of 1 to 10, isn't everybody? That aside, $4,000 seems a bit high for this one. Looks like a total redo with a little "undo" of the rear mud flaps and adjacent Bondo. I live in the area near the Z and if it has been sitting outside or even covered for the last 35 years, everything not made of metal is going to be dried out and crumbling.

It may be a nice shell for a total restoration, depending on how much body filler is under the paint, but I see it more as a $2K car. I, too, am being totally honest.

Please excuse my bluntness. 

This guy's dreaming. How does a tire shop know if an odometer's rolled? You might restore this car and claim 80,000 original miles with tire receipt, but nothing will be original. 

Some real World ends of the spectrum. I bought my running 1973 240z for $3600, delivered, with a $500 "military discount." Previous owner had it 34 years, he didn't remember much except he had the carbs switched. 15 year old paint. Minor fixable rust. A box of paperwork and $2500 in recent work. These were taken the day I registered it.

557134 400513160006359 977810851 N

post 25856 1415081742368

original engine

On the other end, I found an orange '73 with a 4 barrel Holley I picked up for less than $500. I got it running, new fuel pump, clutch master and slave. The interior was about as rough as the one you showed. A few dents on a few panels. It had a lot of new maintenance parts (starter, water pump, brakes, oil change receipts)...but floors and rockers were pretty bad. I sold it for $1750. The guy told me after switching to a smaller 4 barrel he's driving it to work. 

And this one has been on eBay a few times, but ended at $3,000 this time. It's an Arizona car. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-Series-GT-Coupe-/231541682842?vxp=mtr

I didn't see the no title part. I wouldn't go for that except a super low car. Titles can be acquired through places like Broadway title and I have done it but it does add some money. Also if the car shows up as stolen you can be out of luck.

Bought my silver Z January 2012 from Greenville, SC.

Orange Z was sold fall 2014.

That's my part of the world. I am not surprised, sometimes we have nice Z's in our area at decent prices. I am not sure that is not becoming a thing of the past. It's been 3 years and in those years it seems like the cheap cars and projects have disappeared. I routinely see what I consider basket case cars at 3-6k prices. That will make it harder to catch up with Deseazd

Got to love the finger swipe of the dirt on the speedo to see the mileage. 4K is a bit to high IMO, looks like there may be a lot more tin worm disease as well as Bondo work. I would have to give it a real real close look see before making any offer. Just my 2¢.

My rule is to never buy an unwashed car.  It seems like 3-4k is what you pay for a complete intact but non running 240 in these parts though.  There's always the occasional deal

This car looks like a turd: parts only in my opinion and most of the parts look wasted