IGNORED

Bumpers-new JDM or restore some USA style ones

240tom

I'd like opinions on my options for getting bumpers back on my 1971, Series I 240Z.  I've spent the last year and a half restoring my Z to as near-original condition as I can.  My original bumpers were not salvageable.  I've been so close to buying the futofab JDM bumpers at around $350 apiece, plus shipping of somewhere around $60.00  All in, I would be paying around $760 or so.  They look great and I think that going with JDM bumpers would be alright.  However, I've just found a decent set of '72 bumpers, (see pictures) they do have a couple of small dings and will need to be rechromed, and new rubber, but they are solid, with overriders.  I can get them both for $150.  I've priced rechroming here in Knoxville and that's going to run me about $350 per bumper, but this shop (Knox Chrome) has a great reputation and there's no shipping.  I would consider other shops within a day's drive if their reputations are good.  That means around $850 for American-style bumpers (plus rubber).  So for more money I can get "really correct" bumpers, or for less I can get new, JDM style that are "correct" in the sense that the Japanese market got them that way.  What do you think?  I am leaning toward American-style, for the originality issue, but knowing the depth of experience and knowledge I've found on this site, I would really like to hear from you guys and gals.  I do like the JDM style as well, nice and neat and simple.  Thanks all!

post-28394-0-46449900-1430237477_thumb.j

post-28394-0-77438300-1430237492_thumb.j

I'm not sure if you've totaled it up, but here are MSA's prices for bumper rubber.

70-72 Vertical (guards) $32 each rear

70-72 Horizontal $59 each rear

70-72 Vertical (guards) $22 each front

70-72 Horizontal $38 each front 

That's a total of $302 before tax and shipping. 

My theory is that if you've spent a year and a half trying to restore your Z to as near original as possible, you should go for the original bumpers. If you had modified it, then I would say go for the JDM bumpers. Like others have said, if you ever sell it, all the effort towards originality will be wasted to the purist who sees the JDM bumpers. 

I concur with everyone else.  Go with the US spec bumpers.  I think any car with the original style bumpers and complete rubber trim stands above a stock car with the JDM smooth bumpers.  Like others said, if your was modified the JDM pieces may be the way to go.

Go US style, I kept the original style to, wanted to go the stainless ones first. Make sure you do a GOOD review on the chrome shop... I made a mistake with that one myself and had to let them re do it, because it wasn't done righ , flaking off from the inside ( more like they where in a hurry.. ) .

These bumpers need more experience than the thicker US classic car bumpers, they are very thin and flex easily. Make sure the chrome they use is HARD chrome and not show chrome, because it will not hold. ( That's what I was told by chrome shops here ).

Edited by bartsscooterservice