IGNORED

Timing indication

ericjump

I'm having trouble getting my timing marks lined up.

Recent rebuild of my 71 240, original distributor, I got #1 cylinder up on TDC, made a mark on the crank pulley at the 0 mark on the timing indicator on the engine.

When I run it and check it with the timing light I have to remove the hold down bolt on the distributor to get the timing to line up at 5 degrees BTDC.post-29883-0-81474300-1429640677_thumb.j

The indication is that it is WAY retarded (off the scale)post-29883-0-81474300-1429640677_thumb.j

Here's my question: Since the indication is so far off could the distributor/oil pump shaft be off a tooth? If so how do I fix it? I know the shaft comes out the bottom of the timing chain cover, can I drop the oil pump, drop the shaft, turn it a tooth and reinsert it?

Thanks for your help, Ericjump

post-29883-0-06775200-1429640761_thumb.j

Try getting your engine to TDC and then taking off the distributor.  The shaft should appear at 11;25 as pictured in many other posts.  If its not, you can easily drop the oil pump & adjust the shaft, just be ready to get dirty as the oil will be dripping out of there!

I got #1 cylinder up on TDC, made a mark on the crank pulley at the 0 mark on the timing indicator on the engine.

Don't you have the original marks on the pulley?  Several.  And the pointer.  How did you determine TDC?  You can get a lot of crankshaft rotation for not much piston movement.

There is another adjusting screw on teh bottom of the distributor. If the second adjuster still has some travel that might be enough to get the timing set.

As Zed has ask, please let us know about how you determined TDC and what the status of the original timing marks are. If the timing marks are not correct you could have a bad damper or perhaps a mixture of parts from multiple year cars/

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/770ebb07/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"> </script> Problem fixed! My pulley has multiple "noches " on it, I got #1 on TDC, and marked the pulley, lined it up with "0" on the indicator on the engine, pulled the distributor and marked where the shaft was (purple mark on gasket, and the shaft), here's where having a little help really helped, dropped the sway bar and the oil pump while my buddy held the top of the distributor/oil pump shaft, he then lowered it just enough to disengage from the crank gear, turned it one tooth and pulled it back up. I slipped the oil pump up (at a slight angle) so it would engage the shaft and then turned it so the bolt holes lined back up. Torqued the oil pump bolts, got the sway bar bolts back in, reinstalled distributor and the timing is right on the money. 5 Degrees BTDC and the timing marks on the distributor line up exactly! First picture shows where the shaft was (purple mark on gasket, and shaft) and where it was after the repositioning. 2nd picture shows the timing marks with timing set to 5 degrees BTDC. Thanks for your help everyone.

Ericjump

post-29883-0-06917800-1429802766_thumb.j

post-29883-0-06869000-1429802835_thumb.j

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/770ebb07/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"> </script>