IGNORED

260z won't start!

Clomolina24

Hello Everyone, 

PLEASE HELP!!!

I was hoping to get some help over a problem I am having, I just recently bought a 1974 Nissan Datsun 260 Z but unfortunately it was not in running condition, I was told it was only a fuel problem so I connected a hose to the mechanical fuel pump that ran to a gallon of gas so that it could get direct access to gas. Unfortunately that was not it as the engine would not turn on but would just sound like it wanted to then I changed the spark plugs as the ones it had were dirty and after I did this every time I turn the switch to start the car would just lose all electrical power, now the engine won't even try to start as everything just shuts off as soon as I turn the switch to start.

Just to let you know I am new at all of this so I don't know much about the car other than what I read so full description of what to do would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank You

Thank you very much!, Im happy to be joining such a helpful community!

I bought the car from Kansas, the guy told me it had been sitting for awhile now but when i searched through the car I found a quite recent insurance card which tells me it hasn't been sitting for over 3 years!

Now me and my father tried starting it up and it would only make a noise as if it wanted to start I later found out that the mechanical fuel pump had no line connected to it so I connected a little rubber tubing that went to a gallon of gas to allow the mechanical field pump to collect gas once I did that the engine seemed to have improved as if he wanted to start up, I went through it all and saw that the spark plugs where extremely dirty so I replaced them but right after I did the car would not even turn on!, all electricity would just die off as soon as I put the switch on start. I'm really hoping this is an electrical issue and I did not ruin the engine!!

The battery I put in it works on another car once I hook it up so I know its not the battery..

Verify that the cable coming from the negative battery terminal does indeed go to the starter bolt that grounds to the engine block.

Possibly the starter is seized or jammed or the motor is frozen and the starter is drawing maximum current on start.

What does it do when the ignition switch is just in the on or run position?

Have you tried to hand turn the motor with a socket on the crank damper to verify it is not seized?

I took the battery to autozone just to verify it wasn't the problem but they said it needed some charging so I'm hoping that was it, once I get it back and try out what you have stated I will up date!, also idk if I can but if it allows me to do so I will upload a video of why the car is doing to see if that gets us on the same page!

Thank you!

Are you buckling your seat belt when you're trying to start the car? The 74 had the nefarious seat belt interlock relay. Was it defeated properly?

You post wasn't clear to me about what was going on.

When you turn the key to Start, does the starter turn and do you have voltage to ground at the coil? If so, the seat belt interlock relay is not interfering.

Just for grins, find the red button in the engine bay. It should be on the right fender for an early 260Z and possibly on the firewall for a late 260Z. Turn the key to ON, press the button, and try starting the car.

Edited by SteveJ
  • Like 1

Just for grins, find the red button in the engine bay. It should be on the right fender for an early 260Z and possibly on the firewall for a late 260Z. Turn the key to ON, press the button, and try starting the car.

Wow, a remote start button.     Learn something everyday on this site ...

News to me too. How many years did they include it? Evidently my 74 was disarmed properly. No red button on mine & the seat belt switch is not working. Is the red button a remote start or something else like a reset button of some sort? Inquiring minds want to know.

It's all described in the FSM from pages 90 to 109.

The "red button" is the emergency start button. With age it may be pink, white or crumbled to bits. It was a bypass in case the system didn't work properly.

Mark - The seat belt interlock was a standard "safety" feature in all 1974 cars. IIRC, Ford designed a system and lobbied the NHTSA when the NHTSA was looking for a way to get more people to use seat belts. The NHTSA liked it and made it mandatory for 1974. Other automakers scrambled to comply with the new regulation with less than stellar results. People complained about having to buckle up groceries when they were placed on the passenger seat. Systems malfunctioned, leaving cars that wouldn't start. The requirement went away about as quickly as it was instituted, despite statistics showing that it increased seat belt usage.

I first encountered the relay in 1975. My dad bought a 1974 Impala from a rental car company. It didn't take him too long before he defeated the seat belt interlock.

Many other car owners defeated the interlock, too. Sometimes, though, you find the odd car where no one jumpered out the devil.

Yeah, I think the only year they did that interlock stuff was 74. Big Brother at it's finest.

Actually, I think the seatbelts on the motorized tracks that automatically swung into place was the "finest"...

I was going to mention that as an example of how things could have been worse.  LOL

Bruce, you need to come to the convention. You are someone I should meet.