IGNORED

Alternator Band Colour

Careless

I have 3 alternators for use on the 01/70 resto I am completing. The only photos I can find are of the internally regulated units. However, I would like to disssassemble the externally regulated unit and restore it to the factory appearance.

The main issue i'm having is locating the original stator band colour. The one that is in the center of the alternator and goes around the entire unit.

I've seen cast-iron grey, green, and also red.

This is for the externally regulated unit, which I have a new regulator for as well- so I would like to continue using this one instead of the internally regulated rebuilt unit I have.

I think all 3 of the alternators I have are in good working condition, but I have to EXT regulated units that I can mix and match parts from if that's not the case.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long long time, but when I used to race Datsuns ( 1200's and 240Z'z ) back in the Mid-70's, I seem to recall that the factory OE alternators were the " Green " bands. I worked as a Datsun Partsman from about 1974 thru to 1992 and saw quite a few early cars in the shops with the Factory Alternators. For some reason the " Green " band sticks in my mind. The Datsun/Nissan " re-manufactured " Alternators may have had a Gray bandat different times... but I think the OEM's had the Green bands.

I don't recall Red on any of the Alternators, at least not factory equipped. And also these were all Canadian cars, but in the early 1970's I don't think there were many differences in Production between Canada and USA.

Unfinished, no color, unpainted iron grey.  Your car had the externally regulated alternator known as the grapefruit because of the housing design.  Do a search "Grapefruit Alternator".  You'll find http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/30365-series-1-engine-paint-plan-details-please/?hl=%2Bgrapefruit+%2Balternator#entry270202 which discusses the engine finishes question you have been asking.