IGNORED

Rear shock noise

zebop

I have a 71 240, lowered I used the tokico illumina 5 way adjustable shocks and coils. Lately

I've be hearing a clunking/popping noise. It sounds

like bad u-joints. My mechanic says it's the rear shocks. This guy is a z whisper but he's hasn't had a chance to look at them. Has anyone had this problem. I'm thinking coilovers. I like the setup that I have. It's my daily driver and I keep putting my 300tt on the back burner dealing with 240 issues. It's in the shop getting painted and restored to like new condition. Hope to share some pics.

I'm betting something is loose, like the gland nut that holds the shock in the tube. I'd be checking that sort of easy stuff first. Many mention loose moutache bar nuts on the diff studs too. Crank down all the bolts you had out when you put the shocks and see what's shaking.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas, when my mechanic put the shocks on he said he

didn't need a compressor cause the coils where that short. That's how they were designed. I had

ordered the eibach coils motorsport wouldn't take them back so I had to eat them . If anyone is

interested I still have them. Back to my coils. They came that way they weren't cut. I'll check the

Nut. they worked fine for years. Thanks again guys

You're in the MSA vendor forum.  Not the best one fro fixing problems.  The springs will compress when you put the weight of the car on them.  They just don't have any preload.

Can you give more detail than "Lately I've be hearing a clunking/popping noise"?  Noises from the rear have many potential causes.