IGNORED

My New Z

bratliff

I've lurked here for a while, but, never posted since I didn't own a z. This morning, I got a delivery.

post-27738-0-05857900-1429103552_thumb.j

This car was purchased new by my uncle in 1976, bought by my father from him in the late 80's, and now it's mine.

Currently, it's not running. My dad parked it away one winter several years ago and hasn't run it since. He tells me he's started it not too long ago, but the battery is completely dead and the fuel guage shows empty. I tried jump starting it with my truck this morning but no go. It turned over and all the electrics seems to work but it just wouldn't start. I've got the battery on a trickle charger now, although I suspect it's dead dead. I'll get some fresh gasoline this afternoon and try jumping it again.

Going through it, the interior needs the most work. The head liner is missing. The carpeting is not secured well but is in good shape. The seats are in excellent condition but dirty and the whole inside needs a detailing. It's got black carpet with cream seats, door cards and head liner. The door seals look shot to me, and I'm guessing the hatch seals are the same.

On the exterior, there is one ding on the driver's side and an area that has some filler that's cracked (the car got stolen in the 90's and recovered and had some damage to the hatch that was repaired). Neither is a huge issue, but I"ll address them once I get to redoing the exterior (last on my list). Other than that i's missing a few emblems and needs to be washed and buffed out.

Mechanically it looks very sound. No rust anywhere although I haven't gotten up under it yet. The suspension is probably shot, although my dad says it drives fine. The tires are too big (the rears rub when you go over bumps).

Right now, plans are to first get it running. I'll do a full fluid/filter change. Then suspension, door/hatch seals, hoses and belts and new tires. I'll also inspect the brakes and service them if needed. Once it's running and driving the way it should, I'll start looking at intake and exhaust. I don't intend to extensively modify this car. I remember driving it back in the 80's/90's and I think it drives very well. To me, the intake looks screwy (sucks from inside the engine bay) and I'd like to put a performance exhaust on it.

Any other ideas for lightly modding these engines? I don't intend on rebuilding it at this point. I'd like to see how it performs before I decide if it's needed.

The other question I'm struggling with is looks. I like how it looks now. Aside from a lip spoiler my Dad put on (but never had painted) the car is almost 100% stock. Part of me says to leave it this way (although I'll get the body work done and have it repainted). The other part says make it my own and remove the bumpers, put on fender flares, new wheels, etc. Is this car worth preserving as is? I don't intend to sell the car. I'll pass it on to one of my daughters in ten or twenty years (they're 4 and 5 now) so resale value isn't really a consideration.

I'd love to hear some opinions!

• Like 2

Welcome! Your car looks great. Thats awesome that its been handed down from family. I would keep it as is just give her a good detailing. Headliner and weatherstripping are easy fixes. Both available at MSA. You could always switch out the wheels to change the look if you wanted.

I wouldnt try and start it without doing a full fluid change. These gas tanks are known to rust out so you may end up doing more damage than good. Change oil, oil filter, gas, fuel filter, plugs, plug wires. etc.. 

Performance wise, a good header and exhaust will give you a couple more ponies.

Good luck! And lets see some more pics!

Nice car... there is a thread on here, I believe "Blue" started it on waking the sleeping beast. It is very detailed and methodical. As for looks, I don't car for the larger crash bumpers, and I am not a huge fan of cutting good quarters to install fender flairs.

Charles

I think you have a good bottom up plan.  Get it  to go, get it to go where you point it, and most important, get it to stop when you want it to. Body and cosmetics should come last.

I've had mine about 1 year now and after suspension, rust, interior and brakes, I'm just starting to look at body and paint. Personally, I'm keeping mine stock with minor mods, more like small updates really like a few LEDs, 2.5" exhaust, etc.. and I did put on a 240 front bumper with a air dam,  but everybody has a different a preference.  It pretty much goes as fast as I want to go as is.  

Good Luck and keep us posted !

Edited by gwri8

nice!

do a search for posts about starting up a z motor after a long park - "awakening the beast" or something like that i think... some really important info on prep to avoid cam damage, which can happen in the first minute of running a dry top end.

tons of info on this site to look at/drool over/get inspired by.

oh, and love the color ;}

Welcome! Your car looks great. Thats awesome that its been handed down from family. I would keep it as is just give her a good detailing. Headliner and weatherstripping are easy fixes. Both available at MSA. You could always switch out the wheels to change the look if you wanted.

I wouldnt try and start it without doing a full fluid change. These gas tanks are known to rust out so you may end up doing more damage than good. Change oil, oil filter, gas, fuel filter, plugs, plug wires. etc.. 

Performance wise, a good header and exhaust will give you a couple more ponies.

Good luck! And lets see some more pics!

Thanks HaZmatt! I've read through your entire thread a couple of times! I'll definitely post more pics when the weather clears. That was with my Nikon d810 at 6400 ISO and really pushed. It's cloudy, overcast and rainy today. Hopefully this weekend I can throw some water over it and take some detailed interior/exterior/engine shots.

Nice car... there is a thread on here, I believe "Blue" started it on waking the sleeping beast. It is very detailed and methodical. As for looks, I don't car for the larger crash bumpers, and I am not a huge fan of cutting good quarters to install fender flairs.

Charles

Yea, the bumpers aren't my favorite either. I'm debating if I want to replace them with 240z bumpers or just remove them entirely.

I think you have a good bottom up plan.  Get it  to go, get it to go where you point it, and most important, get it to stop when you want it to. Body and cosmetics should come last.

I've had mine about 1 year now and after suspension, rust, interior and brakes, I'm just starting to look at body and paint. Personally, I'm keeping mine stock with minor mods, more like small updates really like a few LEDs, 2.5" exhaust, etc.. and I did put on a 240 front bumper with a air dam,  but everybody has a different a preference.  It pretty much goes as fast as I want to go as is.  

Good Luck and keep us posted !

This isn't the first car I've "hot rodded" so to speak. I always start at suspension and braking before I get into the go faster bits. :)

nice!

do a search for posts about starting up a z motor after a long park - "awakening the beast" or something like that i think... some really important info on prep to avoid cam damage, which can happen in the first minute of running a dry top end.

tons of info on this site to look at/drool over/get inspired by.

oh, and love the color ;}

I read the post on awakening the beast. Question I have is I believe the car was last run less than a year ago, so do you think I should do the full fluid change, etc, still? All the cars I've ever worked on were all runners from day 1 so this is the first time I've had to take a car out of storage. And yes, whatever I do I'm going to keep the color. I call it British Racing Green. Does anyone know what the Datsun name is?

Leave it alone. Not many left that are unmolested...

I assume you refer to the looks of the car and that I should keep it stock looking. I want to update the suspension and braking system as well as the intake and exhaust, but these would for the most part be unseen changes. Thank you for taking the time to respond as I am really of two minds here. Seems like the consensus so far is keep it basically stock looking.

I would drain the tank & put in fresh fuel, change the oil & filter at a minimum.

Do some tasteful updates, but leave it mostly stock.

Look for the paint code on sticker just in front of the radiator on passenger side, then you can look up the number for the name.

Enjoy your beautiful car...

Welcome to the club. If I had it to do all over again I would leave mine stock for interior and exterior. I would do light engine mods though if your state allows you to. I used to hate the large bumpers (park benches otherwise known as) but I'm starting to realize it fits the 280 design. There is going to be things you'll want to first. All the safety items. Tires, brakes, bushings, etc. 

Ditto on the start up. So many things to take into consideration. One major one is putting gas into a tank that could have serious amounts of rust. Good way to create a whole lot of "unnecessary" work and expense. Do what was mentioned above and search this site for the proper way to awake a sleeping beauty, so to speak. And have fun and post pics!

Thanks S30Driver and rcb280z. You guys are right. I'll drain the gas tank and inspect for rust. If I see any, I'll remove it and have it cleaned and repaired. I'll also change the oil and lube the engine as suggested. I am focusing on running items first and then looks. Maybe the bumpers will grow on me.