IGNORED

Wanted: Closest Replica For Factory Foglights

Zedyone_kenobi

Looking to do more upgrades to the Z after playing the roadster for a year.  Redo'ing the entire suspension with eibachs/tokico HP's/Top hats, Bushings, etc.  Cannot wait to feel that, but now looking to really improve some aesthetics.  Starting with the easy stuff.  New smooth bumpers (form Futofab) and factory looking fog lights.  Anybody know of a really good replica foglight (rectangular) for the 240Z?

Thanks!

Interesting question.  While I'm aware that the wiring harness has provisions for fog lights - connections in the grill area and taped-off wiring in the dash, I've never seen factory lights for the 240Z.  If there are none, a very nice rectangular unit if they can be found is the old Cibie' 35.  They came with either driving or fog lens.

I have always wanted to add aux lighting on a z. I thought a smaller round light would look good, since the headlights are round and nothing about the car is squareish. Sort of like the rally cars but lower and tucked into the grill or airdam.

Charles

I had some 35's on my car for a while - until they were stolen!  The stock bumper already has holes on the underside for the mounting, inboard of the bumperette mounting points.  When they were suspended under the bumper, the rectangular form was a good fit with the grill opening.  I found them available at this site and at the bottom of the page they offer anti-theft nuts!

http://www.alfacybersite.com/ACSCibCtA.html

Interesting question.  While I'm aware that the wiring harness has provisions for fog lights - connections in the grill area and taped-off wiring in the dash, I've never seen factory lights for the 240Z. 

Here's one of several previous classiczcars.com threads where they have been discussed in the past:

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/3621-fog-lamp-switch/

If you want to exploit the factory wiring for a relay AND you just happen to have your dash out, here's what to look for.  The blue tape between the tach and the center gauge is the tip-off to the unused circuit, a connector is peeking out of the wiring.  Spread the harness a bit and the two connectors for a switch are ready - note how conveniently close they are to the closed hole in the dash face above the hazard light switch.  Hmmmm - just what did Nissan have in mind???

I've added a toggle switch to the dash, all ready to go to manage a relay circuit to power aux. lights.  Keep in mind this is my 12/70 car and wiring likely changed in later models when the lighter was moved to the dash face.

post-21215-0-60151000-1428682382_thumb.j

post-21215-0-29745800-1428682403_thumb.j

post-21215-0-92536200-1428682422_thumb.j

I have a few sets of aftermarket, cheap fog lights that I put aside until I decide if I'll ever use them or not. I found a pair of the yellow glass lenses that fit the housings well but they are still a bit too yellow, compared to the originals. I think they still sell these fog lights at Princess Auto for not much $.

There is a set with what appears to be different mounts shown in the Sports Options Catalog on the rally drop/split bumper. That's a different look. I'll dig up a pic.

post-12106-0-44234100-1428815231_thumb.j

post-12106-0-44424500-1428815273_thumb.j