IGNORED

Oil Ring On Itm Piston - Trick Needed To Get It On?

SledZ

I wrestled with the oil rings for about 20 minutes and came to the conclusion I'm not doing something right or something has to be modified as I can't even get one of the two oil rings to fit correctly with this spacer in place. It wont stay in place, overlaps itself at the slightest move and the rings won't fit into the piston groove correctly.

I can't figure it out and I'm a handy dude! Can't find anything on the interweb other than throw them away and buy some other brands. Anyone have any ideas or am I really missing something obvious? It should not be that difficult....

post-3522-0-67758200-1428261660_thumb.jp

I didn't have any issues with the ITM rings I just installed on my L24.  Just did the first start up of the engine this weekend & started on first crank.

The oil ring in the picture above by the original poster is the lowest ring, and there should be two other ones that sit in the grooves above this oil scrapper.

My 'trick' was to use a good ring spreader tool (not my fingers) and then stagger the gaps around the piston as shown in the ITM instructions.  I also had an issue with the ring compressor I used (got a cheapo at first), but after biting the bullet & buying a good one they went in very easy (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008PVAEXO)

I just went out and fought them again and I have come to the conclusion the spreader ring is incorrect and a POS. So I am going to find new ones like Disazed suggests. I also took a picture, and you can see there is no way the ring can fit with that spreader ring diameter.

post-3522-0-18007300-1428344769_thumb.jp

SledZ........Once you get a set of Total Seal or Nissan rings, you'll understand how bad the ITM oil ring is! The pistons are awesome, and the top and middle ring are fine....just that oil ring which can destroy an engine if not installed correctly. Don't buy Hastings either.....they're almost as bad.

Thanks Diseazd, I called Total Seal and they wanted measurements so I will check them in a bit. I only have calipers that big so hopefully I can get it close enough.. I had the cylinders bored out .030 over just to have a good fresh start and keep .010 just in case..!

Jarvo2,  I am trying to install them like any other oil ring set. Slip on the expander then the other two, one above and below, it should be a piece of cake. There is only one groove for the oil ring. If you look at the picture of expander zig zag thing in the bore, you can see that the circumference it too big for the oil ring, the oil rings are supposed to rest on the edge of the "tangs" of the spreader ring that rests against the inner piston groove. But there is no way that will work with what I have. Funny thing is that the ring packages say .030 over I just don't think I am missing something.

Ok so I called Total seal and ordered new oil rings. A bit expensive because of my .030 bore so they have to make them up. No biggie to get it right. At any rate he said these ITM's are an old school ring and they way to put them on is to fit them on the piston then use the ring compressor to "squish" them into place. I said well how do you know if they are on right... he said you don't!

He said I will really like what they are sending.

I'll just move on to another part of my project in the meantime....Good thing for digital cameras!

post-3522-0-89875400-1428354426_thumb.jp