IGNORED

Crane Hi-6S Install Questions.

Chickenman

I'm planning on adding a Crane Hi-6S Inductive ignition box to my 1976 Datsun 280z. It has the twin pickup coil Federal Model dizzy. I've chosen the Crane inductive box for specific reasons and have been well pleased with the HI-6 CD version on other cars.

Question is about install. Where specifically does the ECU get the injector Timing signal from? Is it from the negative terminal on the coil or from the Magnetic trigger in the dizzy?

Has any one done an install of the Crane H-6S ( Multi-Spark  inductive ignition ) on an FI 280Z and have any installation tips? TIA.

Edited by Chickenman

As mentioned above, the FI get's it's trigger off the negative side of the coil.

Since we're talking about this kind of stuff though... I've always wondered about the possibility that the multiple spark discharge systems screw with the fuel injection? Isn't there a risk that the ECU will misinterpret the multiple discharges and pulse the injectors more often than is desired.

I'm assuming it doesn't cause a problem since you're not the first to pair an ignition system like that with the stock fuel injection, but just wondering if anyone has had issues with that.

As mentioned above, the FI get's it's trigger off the negative side of the coil.

Since we're talking about this kind of stuff though... I've always wondered about the possibility that the multiple spark discharge systems screw with the fuel injection? Isn't there a risk that the ECU will misinterpret the multiple discharges and pulse the injectors more often than is desired.

I'm assuming it doesn't cause a problem since you're not the first to pair an ignition system like that with the stock fuel injection, but just wondering if anyone has had issues with that.

That's exactly what I was wondering as well ( Multi Spark issue ).

Edit: I guess it helps to read the Instructions... DOH. This couldn't be more simple. The HI-6S ( Inductive version ) solves the whole issue by keeping the original factory Transistorized ignition box. You remove all of the factory wires connected to the Negative coil terminal and connect them to the White trigger wire of the Crane box. It use the factory Ignition boxes grounding signal to trigger the Crane box.  That way the factory injector triggering signal is still used and the Factory Tach signal is still used. The white wire is used for a Points trigger or Transistor trigger. Apparently you cannot directly trigger the Hi-6S with a Magnetic or Hall effect pickup.

I'm used to the HI-6 model, which is the Capacitor Discharge model.That can be directly triggered by a Magnetic pickup or Hall effect pickup. And Optical pickup or points.

In this case it looks like the Hi-6S inductive box is the easier choice. Everything from the distributor side right up to the coil Positive terminal remains stock. So the ECU, Factory Transistorized Ignition and Tach all get a factory signal. The Crane inductive box then takes the OEM ignition box output and converts it to the Multispark discharge at 450V on the Coil Primary side. So essentially it operates as a " Piggy Back " system in conjunction with the Factory Transistorized Ignition Box. Clever work around by Crane..... thumbs_up.gif

The Capacitor Discharge versions ( Hi-6, Hi-6R, Hi-6N ) , works as a complete stand alone or replacement Ignition box version rather than a " Piggy Back " like the HI-6S.

Edited by Chickenman

The more I look into this the more I like it. By keeping the factory Ignition box, I don't even have to play with the the switching of the dual pickup coils in the Dizzy.  Plus I get MultiSpark, a Digital Sequential Rev Limiter and a High output  Inductive spark with a nice long Spark duration.

Yes, I've been using Crane CD boxes  ( HI-6 ) since 1998 and am really pleased with the product. Several of my racing buddies switched from MSD to Crane around the same time and we've all been impressed. I decided to go with the inductive system this time because the CD version was really over kill in this situation.

As luck would have it, the Inductive version will be actually be a little easier to install than the CD version. The early 1975 and 1976 factory transistor boxes really don't have a lot of " Punch " to them. It's a pretty feeble spark.

So that's you?  It reads like you've already installed it in a 1976 280Z.

Since coil charge time is still the limiting element, it will go to single spark at a certain higher RPM, just like MSD's system.  Might be a little cleaner running at low RPM though.  You'll need the coil they recommend also to get full benefits.