IGNORED

Suspension Redo!

I love it when you get everything clean, and you have a couple of hours to get something done and everything goes exactly how you planned it would, due to preparation, skill, organization, and experience.

Then you realize in all your awesomeness you built up 4 beautiful struts and left the bump stops off

GRRRRRRR

I'll do one better, not only did I not install the bump stops, I didn't notice until the struts were installed on the car!  Things flew in the shop that day.

Pretty darn good explanations by Captain Obvious. One additional comment on an "unhealthy strut" is that if the gas has leaked out (determined by "slow or won't rise after being compressed"), it's possible that oil has leaked out as well. When people talk about a shock being "blown" they're usually (whether they realize it or not) referring to that shaft seal you mentioned, Captain, being worn out and allowing gas and/or oil to leak out.  If the damper has lost oil then it is likely to have less damping ability.

...My problem now is the car still sags in the rear.  It's better than it was but still noticeable...

Matt

Matt, I wanted to chime in on your observation. I think Zedyone mentioned something earlier in the thread about Eibachs potentially messing up the stance of the car. I have Eibachs as well and I also notice a slight rear rake, although only because I'm picky. I would prefer the fender gap to be more uniform but it doesn't bother me too much. If you're noticing a slight sag in the rear it could be the Eibach's fault. It's pretty subtle but it seems to be a problem with the Eibachs. You can even see it in Diseazd's pics of his orange car. If your car is much worse than that though, there's probably something else going on.

The problem with any modern shock upgrade is that the gas charge (which the original shocks did not have) actually adds spring rate and subsequently adds ride height. Keeping stock springs and adding a new shock will raise the car somewhat (I can't quantify exactly how much). Obviously we have to buy modern dampers, so if we don't want the car higher than stock, our only off-the-shelf choice is one of the available lowering spring options. I struggled with this when I was redoing my suspension because I didn't want the car higher, but I didn't want it excessively low either, or to create a harsh ride. Ultimately I also went with Tokico shocks and Eibach springs, just like you and Zedyone. I haven't put many miles on since but so far I'm pretty happy with the set-up.

PS - Zedyone, do you have a build/update thread for your roadster?

Edited by bacarl

I have been taking pictures here and there of the roadster as I complete a project, but I have not posted them here on the Z forum. Always seemed like the wrong place for it.  I usually post on www.311s.org  but have not in a while. I have just been enjoying the drive since I finished the exhaust redo, carb redo, and interior redo.  Car is just a beautiful thing to putt around in.  Oh and it is fairly quick! :)

front two are fixed, and I took the opportunity to grease everything that has moving parts.  I also put a dab of grease on the bump stop. 

Next up the rears!  Should have the struts back on the car today. Then I have to wrestle with the new stainless brake lines.  But will need to go by a 11mm brake line wrench.  I just refuse to round off those damn things.

All the struts are now together and the bolts finger tight. I have to get the rear inner Bushings on the A arm retightened. I put new ones on there 5 years ago, but I may as well replace them again since I am here.

Just need to look up all the torques for all the fasteners.