IGNORED

Might Have To Sell Track Day Car

WW2Winger

I've been developing this '71 Z for about 5 years.  It is a track day only car that has so many modifications, it will never be a stock car again.  A few weeks ago, I blew my Rebello motor and now I think it may be time to hang it up.  My question is whether or not to sell it as is or part it out, or what to do.  As you can imagine, this car has lots of dollars invested that I know I would never get out, but someone looking for a great track day car would be able to get it fully developed, at a steal.  Have not set a price yet, I'm still in mourning.

How bad did you blow the engine? Maybe you can use the parts for another engine and maybe regain some of the performance. That's why I'm against a race engine...It's too heart breaking if you ever blow it up. The engine I put together is slow but if I blow it I don't care. Sorry for the loss man.

• Like 1

I talked with WW2 last night and he threw a rod, so the block is gone. Of course you can use what's left over but it all depends on your budget and your desire.

At the SVRA Watkins Glen event in September and with VRG a few weeks later at the same track, I lost the back-up engine. I have blown 2 others, a BSR engine and a Jim Cook Racing supercharged L28 so I do know the pain and heart break.

I have also raced the same car a few days later with a spare nearly stock engine and had to get off the track after a few laps because my mind would wonder at the slower speeds and responsiveness.

71 - I would bet that after a ride in a 240 powered by a 300+ HP L series race engine you would never, ever want to go back. I know I can't.

Edited by gnosez

That's why ilk never install a 300 hp l28. I would love it too much. But I'm wondering what happened to throw rods through the block. What cylinder heads are u guys running?? I agree...The stock l28 is pretty slow. But the sounds it makes keep me addicted. That's the problem. I'm hoping to get 210 220 crank out of mine.

Gnose hit it on the head, After enjoying the performance of this car with nearly 300 HP, I just don't think I could enjoy the car at less performance.  Over the next few days, I intend to list all of the aftermarket parts and modifications made to this car so that any interested person can make a decision as to the viability of owning the car.  I know I can't get back all the hours of development and TLC that went into it.  What the heck am I going to do with myself when it's gone ?

Really sorry to hear about this, and hope you figure out a way to keep it.

Somebody is going to say this next bit, so it might as well be me. You could swap in an LS engine for less than the cost of another Rebello motor, and if something happened to it a replacement would be comparatively cheap. I have an aluminum 5.3 that I bought for $1100 with 30K miles. 315hp stock, but with cam, headers, rod bolts and I'm hoping to put about 350 to the wheels and I should have over 350 ft/lbs at 2000 rpm. I have less in this motor than I did in my E31 head which I had many many hours into myself,  that ended up making ~240whp.

Good point Jon. A non-sanctioned track day car can use any power plant you have the desire to install. What someone would be buying is a nearly ready made, hours of refining, sorted out car that all just needs an engine to put a smile on a person's face.

As to rpm, the race engines can do 8500 but there is no reason to go that high since they hit peak output of both torque and HP around 6500-7000 rpm (we see 300/275 with the L28 and 365/300 with the 3.2L)

The 5.3 gm engine is wonderful. EXCEPT the damn head must be removed to get to the hydrolic lifters. Mine are a little noisey in my tahoe and I have decided to just deal with it. They're not clogged I just think the check valve isn't sealing inside. I'm the original owner of the 04 tahoe. Always used awesome oil. Like motul or something the like of since day one.

As far as the crank. In japan I heard they shorten it a bit to help with resonance. Perhaps that's the reason for the failure. I've never built one of these before so what the he'll do I know LOL. I do know some of the trade secrets tho.

Edited by 71Nissan240Z