IGNORED

Fan Shroud For 72´datsun 240Z Carrying Champion 3 Row Radiator

I have a 240z which actually has a Champion 3 row radiator and the original plastic fan blade. When i am stuck in traffic the temperature in the temp gauge rises to 3/4. I have been recommended to get a Fan Shroud for this radiator as i am looking forward to install a Vintage Gen II Mini evaporator and Sanden 508 compressor. What kind of fan shroud shall i purchase for this radiator? Plastic or metal? Which Brand? any other recommendations? Been looking around and cant find any that could possibly fit.

Anyone??

Just contacted Champion Cooling and they do not manufacture Fan Shroud for this Radiator which has the following measures:

CORE DIM (HXW)

13 3/4 X 23 1/4

OVERALL (H X W)

19 3/4 X 27 1/4

Cant believe anyone here has installed a fan shroud for this type of radiator using only the original plastic stock fan blade!!!!

I have an original rad that has been re-cored to a 3row, I looked long and hard for a fan shroud that would fit but with no luck. I bought a 280z fan shroud but couldn't make it fit.

I ended up flushing the rad and engine using diluted CLR to make sure I had clean internals then filled with with fresh coolant and Water Wetter and added an 17-18lb rad cap.

The temp gauge never goes over the mid mark on the gauge even on the hottest days in traffic,

but then I don't have A/C or drive in Panama.

Chris

I have an original rad that has been re-cored to a 3row, I looked long and hard for a fan shroud that would fit but with no luck. I bought a 280z fan shroud but couldn't make it fit.

I ended up flushing the rad and engine using diluted CLR to make sure I had clean internals then filled with with fresh coolant and Water Wetter and added an 17-18lb rad cap.

The temp gauge never goes over the mid mark on the gauge even on the hottest days in traffic,

but then I don't have A/C or drive in Panama.

Chri

My car does not currently has an AC installed. the temp gauge rises to 3/4 not more than that!

I have a similar situation to yours.

Arizonazcar crossflow aluminum rad, stock fan, no shroud.  When stuck in a traffic jam, the temp tends to rise.

Mounted in front of the AC condenser & rad, I have a electric pusher fan with a switch I can activate on the console.  Have never installed a temp sensor yet for it.  Don't need it often, but I like the peace of mind if I get stuck in gridlock on a hot day.

Just another option to consider.

I have the same radiator. MSA has a radiator shroud that works fine with the aluminum 3-row. You might have to drill a couple holes in the fiberglass bracket, takes about 5 minutes. Should keep it running cooler in stop and go traffic.

However, The shroud doesn't play well with the AC pulley. I didn't have AC, just the damn pulley, which is now removed, plus the smog pump pulley. Two more pulleys than the car needed. I had to file off some of the fiberglass where it goes under the fan, to give it some clearance from the AC pulley. After filing it down, it seemed a little flimsy, so I beefed it up at that location with carbon fiber.

Having the shroud makes it harder to change the water pump or fan clutch, but in my opinion it's worth it.

Edited by Stanley

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same 3 Row Champion radiator using the stock fan & clutch and no shroud.  In sitting traffic the temp gauge usually gets to the middle but never goes past.  Is your fan clutch good?  

I had tried one of MSA's fiberglass shrouds and did not like the fit or finish.  The fiberglass is so thick and the one I received had damage on it already so I returned it.  Most guys have used the 280z shroud, I would be curious to know why a 280z shroud did not work for you Jalex.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...