IGNORED

New Bushings

I am wanting to replace all of the bushings in my 71z. I found a kit on Amazon, but I don't want it to be too stiff. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Amazon complete kits. I am trying to achieve close to oem ride quality, something I would be able to daily drive on my long commute and not ruin my back.

Thanks

Energy Suspension 7.18101G Hyperflex Master Kit for Datsun 240Z https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ALDDD6/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_-Q2bvb0XAYJ28

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ALDDD6/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_-Q2bvb0XAYJ28

Polyurethane bushings are much harder than stock rubber, I'm sure you know that. I installed them in my Z 20 years ago and today wish I had the originals in. And maybe just the lowering springs which also make it a harsher ride.  I installed the energy suspension urethane kit and lowering springs and boy is it a hard ride especially on the roads out here.

Maybe there is someone out in your neck of the woods with a Z that has urethane bushings. Give you a real good idea of how your Z will turn out.

If you do it make sure to lube them well when installing.

Edited by rcb280z

Depends on the ride you are after. If you want to replace them because they are now worn out but liked the ride it gave you before then I would go stock. And finding them may be an issue. Have you searched for original ones?

Don't base your decision off one persons opinions. Get others from this site. 

If I had it to do again I would go stock bushings, if available, and lowering springs, which will stiffen the ride, and adjustable struts. Hmm.....I see another project coming.

If you want an OEM ride experience then just install poly rack bushings and go rubber every where else.

I have gone the whole poly route with coil-overs, stiffer springs, hard mount TC rods, wide tires and HTS shocks set just below the race track setting more than 13 yrs ago and would never go back. But that's my Z and you should do what you want for yours.

If you ever sell your Z the next owner can always decide to change them out or not.

FWIW, I changed out my poly bushings with stock rubber in the rear, removed the T/C rod kits and replaced with rubber, and replaced my Eibach springs with my stockers just because of the harsh ride. Also I removed the poly steering coupler and replaced it with stock rubber as it transmitted all the road imperfections right to my hands on the steering wheel. I felt that I didn't need an autocross suspension on a road car. I am much happier with the ride and I don't feel that I have lost much handling. My wonky back has thanked me.

Cheers, Mike

I agonized about this when I was beginning my suspension overhaul.  I really wanted the better handling that the poly offered but did not want the harsh ride as well as the potential of noise.

I opted to go with all OEM rubber bushings wherever they were available.  I believe the only places I used poly were the rack bushings and the tie rod end links.  Surprisingly all of the other bushings were still available directly from Nissan at that time.  I think that I even have a spread sheet with all of the part numbers (for late 260Z).

Very happy with the ride as well as the improved performance.  Even though they are rubber, they are new and compared to the 40 year old units that were in my car, it was a definite upgrade.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

One more vote from the "been there, done that, changed back" school of experience.  I've got progressive springs and Tokico HP (Blue) shocks which gave me a very firm ride.  With the addition of poly bushings, all compliance was lost and the ride was noisy and punishing.  OE bushings from Nissan made everything better.

It's been mentioned before, by guys with lots of experience, that the tires have a big affect on ride.  If you're using low profile tires you're more likely to get a harsh ride with polyurethane bushings.  Actually with any bushing.

I have polyurethane everywhere but the small bushings at the ends of the control arms (aka transverse links), with KYB shocks (shocks are also a big factor since they are what actually damp the bump energy, not the springs) and Tokico springs in the back with cut stock springs up front.  But I have almost stock-size 205-70-14 tires.  I like the ride and don't really feel any signs of harshness.  

I've seen comments about Tokico shocks alone being harsh also, and people going back to KYB.  It's the combination of parts that matter, as jfa's post implies, and one bad one can probably overpower the others.  

And, besides ride harshness, polyurethane diff mount bushings apparently can transmit diff noise in to the cabin.  Not a harshness issue, but worth considering.

Plus, one's person's harshness is another person's road noise.  Bump size matters.  It can get complicated.

Besides...

Therefore...

With that being said...

Edited by Zed Head

I'll offer another perspective... I've seen several incorrectly fitting and incorrectly installed poly bushings in my travels.

I know for a fact that on my car, my PO had installed poly bushings everywhere and the car felt horrible and handled like crap. I took most of the poly out and replaced with rubber, but during that process I found a long laundry list of issues with the whole job. Some bushings designed poorly and not fitting properly. Some bushings installed incorrectly. Some related suspension bits not put back together in the right order and/or orientation.

I bet that if the bushings are designed properly, fit right, and are installed properly the car will feel very different than what happens on a lot of installs. In other words, I believe that some of the suspension issues that are attributed to poly bushings might not be the bushing's fault.

The bottom line is that if you're going to compare a poly install with a rubber install, you better make sure both installs were done right or you might not be doing a fair evaluation.

• Like 1