IGNORED

Aftermarket Steering Rack, Replacement Parts?

ta240

My car has an aftermarket replacement steering rack in it.  It is about 8-10 years old and has a significant amount of play in the passenger side inner tie rod end.   It doesn't look like the photos of the stock racks in the other threads here.  Am I out of luck in getting a replacement inner tie rod end for it?

rack.jpg

There is only one place that I am aware of that still sells the inner tie rod ends and that is a place called Rare Parts.  You can find them here:

http://rareparts.com/

The actual inner tie rod end is located here:

http://shop.rareparts.com/smtp/shopdisplaycategories.asp?iyear=1974&imake=0041|NISSAN&imodel=1009|260Z&iproduct=0049|STEERING,%20GEAR,%20PUMP%20&%20COMPONENTS

The part number is 26575.

I have used these and they made a significant improvement to the performance of my steering system.  The only issue is that they only make a right hand threaded version (to the outer tie rod end).  So unlike the OEM setup where they used right hand threaded outer rod ends on one side and left hand threaded outer rod ends on the other, you will need to use right hand threaded outers on both sides.

Other than that, they work great.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

My concern is that the inner tie rod ends on my steering rack don't look like the ones in other threads on here.

The top picture is from a rebuild thread on here.  The bottom picture is the inner tie rod on mine.   Mine doesn't have a lock nut or anything holding it so it may not even be threaded.   I don't think the replacement inner end will work on mine. 

tierod.jpg