IGNORED

7/71 240Z Pedal Box Dilemma.

glassguy

I have a 71 240Z, manufacture date is 7/71. I am currently removing its original automatic transmission and putting in a 5 speed from a 78 280Z. 

Over the last year or so I have bought all of the bits and pieces I need to do this job. So, right now, I'm in the process of installing the pedal box I bought off of Ebay a while back. According to the seller, this pedal box was usable on a 70-78 Z. I cant remember what it came off of. Most likely a 75-78 is my guess. Anyway, my problem is that the new manual pedal box lines up with all of the "under dash" connections, but the brake booster bolts are off. Two of them. and the tear drop shaped cut out for the brake booster is off about a 1/2 inch to one side. The clutch master cylinder lines up fine. I've even tried to install parts from the new pedal box to the original box with no success. The next step is to start cutting, chopping and welding to get this to work, and I would rather not do this. Do I just need to find a pedal box from another 240, and if so, what years are 100% compatible with MY 7/71 240Z. I would rather just buy another pedal box to avoid more jacking around! Thanks.

After looking closer at my original pedal box I think I might have removed it for nothing. It looks like all they did was use the same box assembly whether it was a auto or manual. I just need the brake pedal and clutch pedal off a 240 and the bolt and return spring for the brake pedal, and I'm good to go. I tried putting the brake pedal from the 280 box on my 240 box, and although it fits, its not centered to hook up to the brake booster shaft. Thats why I think the 240 pedal will most likely have a different offset and should work. I haven't tried the clutch pedal yet, but probably the same issue. Can anyone confirm this?

Glassguy, You're absolutely right.  There is no need to change the pedal box. The mount for the clutch pedal is already on your vehicle. Just swap out manual pedals for the correct line up, remove the cover on the firewall for the clutch master cylinder and start bolting up.  The larger cutout for the manual trans is already in the tunnel. All you have to do is cut out the panel that was spot welded in at the factory for the automatic transmission.  Good luck on the swap.

Correction: The brake pedal lines up fine, it's the clutch pedal that's off. The clutch pedal I'm trying to use is off the later pedal box. I think I need to locate a clutch pedal from a 240. Regardless, it seems like the shaft from the master cylinder will still be at a slight angle even with the correct pedal. It just doesn't look right to me. Here's a few pics. The other pedal box in the pic is the one off a later Z. Which of course wont work. The one with the pedals on it, is the original box that's out of my 240Z that was originally an auto trans. Is it possible that my master cylinder shaft and connector bracket are wrong as well? If the correct clutch pedal is offset all the way to one side at the pivot point, the master clyinder shaft will STILL be at a slight angle, and that just doesn't seem right to me. What gives?

post-18043-0-98922800-1425056221_thumb.j

post-18043-0-40180100-1425056243_thumb.j

post-18043-0-91935800-1425057089_thumb.j

Edited by glassguy