IGNORED

Water Inlet Housing Modification

This may seem weird to you guys or a waste of money but has anyone cut off the heater branch on the water inlet housing and welded it up. The heater has no use to me in the Caribbean and I was wondering if any of the skilled welders on here think this is worth the effort. I was just thinking of a nice clean inlet that didnt look like something is missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been much debate about changing the coolant flow scheme of the engine and many believe that blocking that off completely would be a bad idea. There are two things that normally flow into that smaller inlet nipple:

1) Flow from out of the back of the head, through the heater core, and then into that inlet, and

2) Flow that bypasses the thermostat, goes through the intake manifolds, around the back of the engine, and then into that inlet.

Here's a brief discussion the last time a related topic came up. The link to HybridZ will lead to a more in depth discussion:

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/50855-rear-by-pass-water-tube-in-back-of-engine/

Probably the safest way to go.

I believe the consensus (of the long thread on HybridZ) is that you can block off the heater core lines completely if you don't want any of the heat in the interior. Don't loop the lines one to the other, but block them.

But even if you aren't using a heater core ever, you'll still want to be able to connect something to that water pump inlet because you'll still want some small amount of flow through the thermostat housing so you don't end with a cool stagnant pool. That's what the water through the intake manifold would do for you. In addition to warming the intake manifolds, of course.

I guess.... If you're POSITIVE that you've got a bypass hole through the thermostat AND you've got the heater core connections blocked off you could do without that nipple. But you (and all future owners) will have to be sure from that point forward that you've got that bypass hole through the thermostat plate. Not sure it's worth the trouble?

You got bigger fish to fry right now anyway, right?  :)

Yeah thats true. Guess it wont hurt to leave it alone.

The car is now at the garage with the mechanic but it gets worked on on the weekends and when things are slow as the usual traffic of customers takes precedence plus he doesn't want too many people drooling over it when he is working on it. Plus I have the carbs so he cant start it anyway. Still need to drop the shafts off at the machine shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk