IGNORED

Cutting My 1975 280Z Original Springs

I have a dilemma and I have discussed this with many car experts.  The results are mixed, so I thought I would post this question again because opinions are very mixed, only causing more confusion regarding this topic.  I am not interested in putting my car on the track but currently its stance is ridiculously high with an enormous wheel gap.  All the after market lowering springs currently available will only on average lower my car by at best a little more than an inch which will not help me with the over 3 inches of gap I am trying to eliminate.  Quality adjustable coil overs are extremely expensive and also require fabrication/welding/butchering my original Z car which I would like to avoid.  I have been told that if I have to try cutting springs I should avoid using heat to cut the springs and only remove a quarter coil at a time.  Also, I am not sure if it is better to remove a section from the top of the spring or the bottom? This type of lowering alteration has been done for street and track cars for many different makes of cars with success.  Anyone willing to share their positive or negative experience and tips, particularly with Z cars in the years between 1975-78, would be greatly appreciated.  Through reading a lot of these forums, I also am concerned about creating camber issues.  

post-28787-0-21703900-1424198780_thumb.j

post-28787-0-60408800-1424198950_thumb.j

I not an expert, but your excess ride height looks like its a result of changing to 240Z bumpers. Losing that extra weight could be the cause of the height problem. It lifted mine about an inch.

If you want to remove 3 inches of gap then a half coil won't come close. You are going to have to remove more.

If the height is caused by the bumpers, lowered springs for a 240Z should correct this and then some. Maybe even a set of standard 240z springs will correct this to an acceptable degree.

Remember one important side effect when cutting springs: You are shortening a long length of spring steel that happens to be wound into a coil. Shortening it will reduce its ability to flex and harshen the ride. Some people want it, some don't and complain about how hard the ride has become.

I lowered another car by lowering the coil perch on the struts. That way I could maintain the spring rate. Thinking about doing it to a spare set of front struts I have for the 280Z and using 240Z insulators for the back.

Chas.

Michael, part of the problem is the 14" wheels, they may have been right for the 70's but don't help fill the wheel well. I have cut springs on other cars with good effect. I have used a hack saw, band saws and even hand held electric cuttoff saw. Just don't use a cutting torch. Top or bottom? Maybe I'm just making myself feel good with no justification but I have always cut 1/8th off the top and 1/8th off the bottom.

I wouldn't do that to a progressive spring though.

If you are going to stick with the 14"s I would think you could take an entire coil with out much worry.

Chris