IGNORED

Redline Diff Oil Question

S30Driver

Since the weather is great here lately, I'm getting ready to change the diff oil in my R200.

Redline makes two 75w90 gear oils.  One has the additional friction modifiers, and the other (75w90 NS) does not.

Since this is not a LSD, I would assume the NS to be the proper choice.

Redline's application guide however recommends the regular 75w90 for all the S30 cars.

I am guessing overall it probably does not make much difference, but which is right.  Is there some reason Redline recommends the regular gear oil?

Well..., taking advantage of the unusual good weather here of late, I went ahead and did my R200 diff gear oil change.

Was about to order it from Amazon, but I checked around and found a local speed shop called Honest Performance that had it for 15.45 per quart (1.04 cheaper), so went ahead and picked up 2 quarts.  $33.83 total with tax.

Next, I needed about 3' of clear vinyl or plastic tubing for the refill, so went to Lowes and will looking around their plumbing dept. found a big roll of 1/2" id clear tubing on clearance for 1 dollar.  Total for 45' roll with tax ... $1.10

After searching & reading some of the issues with frozen fill plugs, I decided to check on mine the other day.

Checked both the diff plugs & the transmission ones.  Hit them both with some Kroil penetrating oil and then backed them out 1/2 way and re-tightened.

The fill plug was very tight, it is a 17mm square head male plug.  My 17mm wrench would not budge it, but a 19mm box end fits perfectly.  Still could net get enough leverage working under the car so.... I used a wood block & my extra nissan pantograph jack under the wrench to turn it.  Not very pretty but worked great.  No room to get a socket in there.

The drain plug is 13mm square female, I don't have that special drain plug socket, so I was just careful with a 1/2" drive short extension & breaker bar.  Broke free with no issues.

Today, I drove the car to warm the gear oil up, and let it drain for an hour. Jacked the front up a bit to get as much of the old oil out as possible.  Cleaned the drain plug, put on a little antiseize, and re-installed.

Opened the deck area up, removed the spare to gain access to and remove the rubber plug in the tub which allows filling the diff from above instead of pumping it in under the car.

Attached my expensive 1/2" clear tubing to my funnel and fed the tubing thru the plug hole and into the diff filler.

3' is more than enough and will also do the transmission from above, under the hood.

Leveled the car, poured the Redline in, took about 1.3 quarts, replaced the fill plug, and voila....done.

This weekend its on to the transmission with MT-90.   :)

post-20012-0-49109700-1424230449_thumb.j

post-20012-0-43686200-1424230476_thumb.j

post-20012-0-88270700-1424230499_thumb.j

post-20012-0-88162700-1424230529_thumb.j

• Like 1