IGNORED

240Z Serie I Color Wiring Diagram

EuroDat

This is something I started a year ago when a friend had problems with his electrical system on a 240Z. It was late 1970 version and we couldn't find any clear color wiring diagrams. There are color diagrams, but mostly traced over original scans and not very clear when printed.

The problem in the car is since solved, so now this has falling into the background.

It is in AutoCAD 2013 and exported to PDF. Im wondering if there is enough interest. If so I will finish it.

I will need input since my Zed is a 280Z.

Here it is so far. Please note "work in progress"

Chas

ColorWiring240Z1971_Concept 15-feb-2015.pdf

• Like 1

I've got a 280, so I can't give you any direct input into the 240 years, but I looked at it and I think it looks great so far. I know the color diagram for the 77 has been a huge help to me on many occasion and I've heard the 240 owners calling for something similar for quite some time. Good luck with the project!

• Thanks 1

You should leave the color codes on the diagram.  I'm clasified as color blind, however can see all colors, but some colors are very muted so I need the codes to help.  You stated you have this in a CAD program, what about making the program highlight wire paths when you click on them this might be a usefull.  This way instead of lousing a path in the diagram it would be highlighted.

Thnaks for the encouragement guys. Ill get back to work on it.

Captain: It was Wayne's great work on the 1977 280Z wiring diagram that got me started on this.

Ajmcforester; Ill keep that in mind. I have a collegue that is colour blind. I didn't even know he was colour blind the first 1-1/2 years until he asked about a PID drawing that used different colours to identify different process.

Havn't given much thought about highlight lines by clicking on them. Ill look into that in Adobe and see what is possible with the side menu and testing in Preflight. If you click on a circuit it highlights in the drawing. First the drawing complete and accurate.

The diagram is now just a quick export to PDF. The end result will be a lot better with borders, title block and colour key etc.

Anything you guys see that needs correcting, let me know. Like I said, I don't have a 240Z to do field checks so the accuracy will depend on your input as well.

Chas

• Thanks 1

Absolutely. Also a "DWG" file posted would be great too. I don't know that I can handle an AutoCAD 13 file but I have an older version of AutoCAD LT that I use all the time. Some of the other technically employed people probably have access to large format printers to make a nice sized copy.

Charles

Absolutely. Also a "DWG" file posted would be great too. I don't know that I can handle an AutoCAD 13 file but I have an older version of AutoCAD LT that I use all the time. Some of the other technically employed people probably have access to large format printers to make a nice sized copy.

Charles

You can download Draftsight from Solid Works for free. It will open the latest version of AutoCAD.

• Like 1

Chas, that looks very promising. One of the things that I found the most irritating about the early wiring diagrams was the inclusion of A/T circuits. There were very few early cars produced with A/T .

I just found it confusing when I was trying to track down a fault.

I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Chris

Here is a little update, still messing around with the layout a bit. moving things around to get a better fit with the wiring spaces. Ill add the colour key later.

Blue can you point out what this would look like or a drawing with it complete and ture?

Some diagrams have the heater circuitry and some do not. I think it would be good to include it.

Chris: Im looking at using adobe to switch off layers. This will enable you to switch off the A/T circuits etc. Make it easier to trace wiring in the circuits. For now its just finishing what I started.

Steve: Draftsight is great software for home users. It has limitations in paper space. If you are using paperspace NanoCAD is beter.

Chas

ColorWiring240Z1971_Concept 19-feb-2015.pdf

• Like 1

Update (Concept 20feb2015).

Corrected some wiring color mistakes around the Tacho and Combination switch.

Does anybody have information on the "PASSING RELAY" See screenshot. Its on the original wiring diagram I traced. A lot of diagrams don't have it so it seems to be some kind of option or a later addition.

Lastly, verifying the wiring to the ballast resistor for the coil. One side is Green with white stripe, but the side coming from the ignition ON is shown in different colours on other "Color wiring diagrams". I have it as White with Black stripe.

post-25317-0-36866400-1424440549_thumb.j

post-25317-0-01571100-1424440563_thumb.j

ColorWiring240Z1971_Concept 20-feb-2015.pdf