IGNORED

E88 Head With N42 Components And Cam.

stang21181

Hi

Quick question for those in the know. I've got an early e88 head with 1mm shave. I took all my n42 head towers cam etc and have placed them on this head done the blue printing etc etc. my question is will the head have sufficient lubrication with the N42 cam towers and internal oiling cam?? Are the oil journals in the head cast suited to the application? Or should I put a oiler bar on?

If anyone could shed some knowledge that would be great.

Cheers

Al

It should be fine.  The oil flow is controlled by a restrictor in the head gasket, not the passages in the block or head or towers, and the size is the same for spray bar and internally oiled cams.  And the oil pumps are the same also, old versus new.  So the same quantity of oil is flowing to the cam towers.  From there, oil flow and pressure is controlled by either the holes in the spray bar, or the holes in the camshaft.  But they both start with the same amount.

I have a N42 head with only the internal oiling cam and towers.  I bought it that way and was worried because there was no spray bar like all the other N42s I'd seen.  Worried for no reason, that thing floods the valve train with oil.  I cut the handle off a long screwdriver and chucked it into my drill to spin the oil pump.  It was set to the higher speed and shot the oil out of the cam, beyond the cylinder head.  I switched it to the lowest speed for this picture.

post-24724-1415082462278_thumb.jpg

Stang.........L series cam towers are align bored. I don't think you can take cam towers from one head and put on another head........the cam probably won't turn freely. Also, if you ever take cam towers off of a head, number each tower so that they go back in the same order for the same reason. Also, 1mm (.040 inches) is a lot to take off of a head without shims.......brings the cam sprocket closer to the crank sprocket.....this affects cam timing and chain slack.

Those are good points.  The one about the cam turning freely and align-boring is one of those areas where Nissan and the rest of the world seem to disagree.  Nissan would have you replace the whole head, but there's much written about tapping the cam towers when installing to get them adjusted so the cam will turn freely.  People swap towers all the time apparently.

The rocker arms generally follow the cam and the individual lobes.  On the towers, the thought seems to be that if you can move things around to where the cam spins freely you're good.  That's what I've seen described.  Otherwise, you'd have to get a new set of cam towers when you bought a new cam.