IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Nice house Mark! Good to see that you are going through with the project. I have a lot of respect for people that do their own bodywork. Next time if I do a resto, I'm going to do it myself.

So where did you find your awsome house? Or did you build it?

If you're ever in need of parts, let me know.. I may have what you need. Most likely not, but ya never know.

• Like 1

Mark, that Z looks like it has lots of potential and it sounds like you are going about it the right way.

It's a fun process, you probably won't have to deal with the kind of rust issues I did but there might be somethings in this build thread from my resto that may be of use to you.

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/45430-240z-rebuild-restoration-right-down-to-the-shell/?hl=%2Bright+%2Bdown+%2Bshell

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Chris

Thanks guys! I feel so much more confident having resources like this available to me.

Taka, in no small part your project inspired me as well... I can't wait to see your finished Z soon..... And yeah, I'll text you what I'm looking for. You might have a few things I need!

Thanks for the link grannyknot. I will review that in its entirety.

Sent from Canadia

Wow, heck of a deal!

I think so. I had been considering some 40 year old rusted, damaged panels for over $300! Finding brand new ones for under that was very lucky! Check out the web.... Most second hand panels are an arm and a leg...

Sent from Canadia

Mark, I installed 2 new front fenders 2 yrs ago, Nissan hasn't made them in years so they hired another company to press them out. The new ones don't fit as well as the old ones, at least not on my car.

The trailing edge of the fender that lines up with the door bows out more than the door does.

I worked on it for hours to minimize it but it is still noticeable. At some point I will have to take it to a professional body man and see if he can fix it.

post-25243-0-12273600-1423604896_thumb.j

Hey Mark where in Alberta are you? I'm just outside of Calgary.

Steve

I'm in Fort Saskatchewan. I bought the car in Calgary.

$272 Canada is $216 US. $72 Can. is $57 US (today). Typo in the calculator?

Nope! Just frustration at the current exchange rate. I have a lot of purchases coming up, all from the US..... My Canuck Buck is taking a beating!

Mark, I installed 2 new front fenders 2 yrs ago, Nissan hasn't made them in years so they hired another company to press them out. The new ones don't fit as well as the old ones, at least not on my car.

The trailing edge of the fender that lines up with the door bows out more than the door does.

I worked on it for hours to minimize it but it is still noticeable. At some point I will have to take it to a professional body man and see if he can fix it.

attachicon.gifDSCN0044.jpg

Wow. I assumed they were re-presses but was hoping fitment was better than that. Still, it's better than the fibreglass panel I have that is more than an inch out of line with the rest of the car!

Sent from Canadia

hey mark, I ran into similar issues with my car. Fenders weren't fitting quite right. Turns out, the frame was twisted and out of factory specs. Had to get my car straightend out at a frame shop. Fenders fit fine after that. Just another thing to consider.

Thanks for the warning Taka as the fender I am getting is from the same stock you got yours.

I am also aware that the previous owner mentioned that the car dog tracked when he drove it. I am going to assume some frame issues are there and have it straightened after I finish welding in the floors and frame rails. No point in doing any structural straightening until the welding is done.

Sent from Canadia