IGNORED

Stahl Headers Back? Maybe, Maybe Not

Stanley

At http://www.stahlheaders.com/ it says Datsun headers now made at ProFab in Aurora Oregon, (503) 678-2948. Tried two weeks ago, and last week, there's a message but no call back.  

I called the other number listed on Stahl site, for Stahl Headers by ACP, (717) 232-2800. Greg got back to me today. He knew about the Datsun headers, but said the jigs etc. were sold to ProFab in Aurora. I told him about calls to them not returned. He said he might have stuff for the 510 headers only, would know when they had everything moved. He said if there was enough interest in the Datsun headers he might build them in the future; he would need a car to work with (I guess a set of the old headers might help too).

I saw another ProFab in Woodburn, OR, called the number thinking it might be the place, since it's only a few miles from Aurora. They don't make headers, but he knew the person who owns the Aurora ProFab, but thinks he may have retired.

Still looking for some 1 3/8" headers.

I've been trying to get a straight answer out of RHD Japan about their headers, but good luck on that I guess. I inquired before asking about whether they do LHD headers, but they responded to only one of my questions. It's also crazy that they don't put actual pics of their products on there. The disclaimer reads that the photo might be generic-REALLY. Some of these headers are 1500$ and you put a generic pic on there. The smallest pipe they use is 1 3/4" though.

I looked at RHD Japan  site, it seems a little scanty on information. It says the Fujitsubo Super Ex headers for S30 are 4 into 1. Wonder about 76000 yen ($637), seems low for good SS headers. According to thread on HybridZ, Fujitsubos won't fit LHD.  Kameari has LHD headers. They look very nice, should work OK with your triples if you really want 1.75" primaries.  Kameari USA site lists MSA as dealer. 187000 yen ($1569 w/o shipping) at RHD Japan may be OK price for them but if you have to send them back to Japan then not.

Might be legitimate reason ProFab in Aurora doesn't return calls; maybe they're moving, retooling or something. Otherwise maybe the new Stahl Headers by ACP could buy the jigs back from ProFab or start from scratch (if enough interest from Z community). They sound like the right outfit to do it, anyway. Maybe next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I called ProFab again, still no answer. So I Emailed Stahl, got this back yesterday:

Stahl Headers

To
me

Feb 19 at 1:31 PM
I don't know the situation for ProFab. All I know is that they bought our jigs, prototype and sample pipes to be able to reproduce them.  You best option is to find someone in the Z community willing to take their car to ACP in Harrisburg, PA. Greg is the one who built them in our shop. 

Judy

So there you have it. From what I've read, from John Coffey and many others, these headers are among the best; also they do 1 3/8" primaries (and other sizes), and equal-length 6 into 2's that don't seem to be available elsewhere. And they look great. The only ones that look better IMO are those pricey works of art from Japan, and I don't think they work with LHD or carbs.

• 1 year later...