IGNORED

240Z Aftermarket Itm Pistons Issues

redzedsled

Okay-this thread has been a bit confusing. .020 it is, but why even shave the pistons?

I think I got 30 by adding the deck shave -which looked like there was a total off .011 taken off.

My question is, if MOST Datsun motors have positive deck height(.020) for a reason, why would you think you needed zero deck height? So now you have atleast .039 head to piston clearance, but maybe more like .049 with your HG. 

IMHO, you didn't or shouldn't have done a thing to the pistons. Not bashing, just stating.

I respect your humble opinion, but +0.020 deck height is not the standard from what I have known.

When I initially pulled the head off the block, the piston at TDC was at the very top of the block, zero deck height and no higher.

I have seen in engine calculators online and they suggest that the pistons should be slightly below the block at - 0.1mm, stock for the L24.

I have always thought it was the performance guys who wanted the positive deck height and therefore run thicker gaskets to gain the clearance.

The gasket I am going to use is about 1.1mm thick so compressed it should be about 0.6mm or so?

Nissan's requirement is 0.035" minimum clearance between gasket and piston top.

I respectfully take all opinions into account and then form my own decision, so I welcome your comments.

They measured the piston height to the old ones that came out before mounting (a slight difference of 5 thou) and after mounting them on the rod bolts and into the cylinder, they protrude about 20 thou above the block,

Did you edit this?  Because I went back and looked about an hour ago and I was sure it said "about 30 thou".  And I had the same question as madkaw.

Did you edit this?  Because I went back and looked about an hour ago and I was sure it said "about 30 thou".  And I had the same question as madkaw.

Yes I did. Initially in the first few postings I estimated at 30 over the block and in later posts I stated it was about 20 over the top.

Looking at How to Rebuild Your Nissan Datsun OHC Engine book, it states:

"although the piston may extend slightly above the block 0.001 for example clearance is required to prevent piston from striking the cylinder".

So what is the actual spec on stock deck height, is it really + 0.020? I have read differently.

I did say .020" piston out of the hole in my previous posts did I not.

Yes I did. Initially in the first few postings I estimated at 30 over the block and in later posts I stated it was about 20 over the top.

Thanks for being honest.  You were being misleading in your post above, to madkaw, though.  Not good.

No excuse for me to edit a posting (I changed it back to what is was), but I did later state it was 0.020 out of the hole, that I did not edit.

Getting back to the matter I found this bit of info on L Series Engines, very few with positive deck heights.

"Assembled stock engine deck height

L16 ('68-'73 510 and later years 521pickup)
piston deck height: 0.10mm (above block)

L18 ('73-'74 610, and 620 pickup truck)
piston deck height: -0.55mm (below block)

L20B (various '75-'80 610, 710, 200sx, HL510, pickup truck)
piston deck height: -0.45mm (below block)"

and further...

"most of the L, Z series have the piston slightly below the block deck at TDC"

No biggy, just a smally on your comment to madkaw,  Especially since you edited close to the time he asked.

Anyway.  The ZX F54 flat-top piston engines all seem to have a pop-up of about .020".  But there doesn't seem to be a lot out there about the early L24 flat-top engines.  Maybe they're zero pop-up (I'd use "deck" but it's hard to keep the +/- signs correct).  But they both use a similar gasket thickness so your .020" pop-up probably was fine.  The 030" that Diseazd had might have been in that worry zone, but even then, some guys like to run a really tight squish distance.  But that's with forged parts to minimize stretch at high RPM.

To top it off, somebody (madkaw maybe?) said that Rebello thinks the ZX P79 cylinder head "squish/quench" design was poor.  So, overall, it seems that keeping the pistons from hitting the head might be the main concern.  From there, you can get in to forged parts, and RPM, and all kinds of details.  Shaving the pistons for insurance is probably the way to go.  Too bad ITM is producing out-of-spec. product. 

Let's take a breather and get back on track.  The guy doing the work on this engine apparently wanted a zero-deck.  So he felt like machining the pistons was the way to go.  Sounds like he was working off specs. and not off what "could be".  He probably would have been okay with leaving the 020" pop-up.

I made a decision based on many people's opinion, including the engine builder, the members of this forum, and people in the business.

The builder felt more comfortable turning the piston tops down. I am aware that you can run your pistons over the top and understand that 30 over would be the danger zone.

I debated turning the pistons down versus leaving them as is for several days. I made the decision, and now I will have to live by it.

The goal of this thread was to inform others who could have potential issues with ITM pistons of their own.