IGNORED

Where Do These Wires Go?

hatepotholez

Hello,

Currently rebuilding the dash harness and observed a few wires that needed identifying.

-Blue wire spliced into a red wire. PO had a green wire spliced in with a fuse directly to the green wire to the flasher. The green wire to the flasher has continuity from the connector to the flasher end.

-Red and blue striped wire, has a red wire connected through the bullet connection.

Also I completed the engine harness and replaced a white wire. The wire had no terminal on it, maybe it was torn off. What kind of terminal would go on this white wire(no pic attached).

Thanks!

post-24854-0-88074900-1422734021_thumb.j

post-24854-0-79536300-1422734024_thumb.j

post-24854-0-09903600-1422734051_thumb.j

Hi. You could say which model it is, would help a bit.

Going from my 280Z. The blue/red wire is for illumination. It may be the one used for the automatic indicator light on the console and the PO was using it to light something when the dash light is illuminated. Its not used in manuals.

The green to the flasher should have power until the hazard switch swithes it over to the hazard flasher unit. Looks like the PO used some sort of scotch lock to splice into it to connect it to the blue wire. Why??? and what the blue wire does. Not sure, Im  trying to work out where on the harness it is.

Chas

For the flasher circuit, if you want to put it back to stock, see https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/hazard-switch-brake-light-turn-signal-circuit-analysis/

I don't see anything in the wiring diagram that would indicate a blue wire spliced into a red wire, or vice versa. Can you locate connectors that have these wires? (An ohmmeter or cable toner could help in cases like this.)

The spiral stripe on the red/blue wire makes me suspect it is not stock either.

Unfortunately, I think you have your work cut out for you.

Could the blue wire be one of those dead connectors that are never used?

It could be. Maybe something like I mentioned, the automatic kickdown power wire Is blue and not used on manuals. Im not up on the 240Z wiring.

I can't figure out why he would have spliced it onto the flasher circuit?

For the flasher circuit, if you want to put it back to stock, see https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/hazard-switch-brake-light-turn-signal-circuit-analysis/

I don't see anything in the wiring diagram that would indicate a blue wire spliced into a red wire, or vice versa. Can you locate connectors that have these wires? (An ohmmeter or cable toner could help in cases like this.)

The spiral stripe on the red/blue wire makes me suspect it is not stock either.

Unfortunately, I think you have your work cut out for you.

Thats a great site, Thanks!

If you look at the first pic, the blue is spliced into the red. The wiring is factory(original tape)except for the direct connection to the flasher. I really think it's a dead connecton for the automatic like Eurodat says. I'll put a bullet connector on it and see where in the dash it goes. 

It could be. Maybe something like I mentioned, the automatic kickdown power wire Is blue and not used on manuals. Im not up on the 240Z wiring.

I can't figure out why he would have spliced it onto the flasher circuit?

That's what I am trying to firgure out also. I removed the wiring tape for the flasher and traced the wiring all the way to the connector. I then checked the continuity from the flasher end to the 4 way flash connector and there was continuity.

Also after searching the FSM I noticed the white wire on the engine harness uses a large connector, which luckily I bought so I'll connect that up.

There is that possibility. While I have a 73 dash harness in my garage, I've never done a comparison against the wiring drawing to look for errors. Knowing that several of us on this site have found errors in the 280Z wiring drawings, there could be some omissions & errors in the 72 FSM wiring drawing.