IGNORED

Missing Engine Data Plate

loudoun

Hello all,

This is my first post and thanks for letting me join the forum.

I am a new Z owner and recently purchased a 1971 titled 9/70 car.  It is missing the engine bay data plate that lists the motor number that was original to the car. Is there a resource where I can run the VIN and come up with the original engine number? I would like to check if the motor has been swapped or not.  It has an L24 with the E31 head in it right now.  The car is HLS30-10278.  Thanks!

The two closet on the registry at zhome.com.  I don't know if you could do some math and figure it out?

Good luck and welcome to the forum.  Post some pictures for us Z lookie lous.

VIN:HLS30 010219
Production Date:09/70
Color Body /Int :Silver / Black
Orig.Eng.Number:L24-9244
Owner:Dale Johns
City/State/Cntry:Lexington, SC USA
IZCC Member#:
Comments:Original Owner
e-mail:rdjohns2001@yahoo.com
Date Registered:28 Sept 03

VIN:HLS30 010317
Production Date:09/70
Color Body /Int :907 Green/Black
Orig.Eng.Number:L24-013547
Owner:Robert Kinch
City/State/Cntry:Wendell, NC, USA
IZCC Member#:
Comments:
e-mail:rob.kinch@comcast.net
Date Registered:9 Aug.11 

You wont be able to calculate the engine number using the data from other cars built around 9/70. The problem is datsun used these L24 blocks in other models at the same time. There will be massive gaps it the number because batchs went to different assembly lines. The link siteunseen posted is a good place to start looking. It will give and idea where your engine fits in the timeline.

At best you can varify it possably came out of that car OR a vehicle using the L24 built in the same general months as the zeds on the zhome site. If you study the list a little you can assume they picked engines at random from the stock pile. The numbers don't always increase with the VIN which makes it impossable to say your engine should be between two known VIN/engine serial nr combinations

Can the PO give any info on the subject? Why was the plate remove (Most likely because he changed the engine) and if the engine was removed where is it? Maybe original receipts or documents showing the engine number. It would be worth some effort to try and track the original block down. Your car is not technically a low numbers car, but it is what is commonally known as a series 1 and with matching numbers it will increase value.

If that is not important to you, but you want to replace the plate anyway, Banzai make them.

http://www.zzxdatsun.com/catDecals.php

Btw what is the engine number?

Welcome to the club

Chas

Your engine number is in the region of 9/70. It could still be the original engine.

Your parts car doesn't make sense to me, maybe someone else can explain it. Are you sure its from 9/71. It should be around HLS30-45... and not HLS30-09... The engine 12921 is also "around" the 9/70 period.

Chas

Given the info you have on-hand, it looks like your car still has the original engine.  If the PO cannot supply you with the original engine plate, you can pick up a replacement at Banzai and stamp your VIN and engine number.  You'll also want to locate four small Phillips-head sheet-metal screws to mount it on the strut tower.  Take note of Mike's request for a copy of your title when ordering a new plate.

http://www.zzxdatsun.com/catDecals.php

Now it make sense anyway. The numbers line up for that period, it would be exceptional if the po found a replacement from the same month. Strange that he removed the plate. I would get a new plate from Banzai, just follow one of the links we posted and you can use the screws from the parts car to attach it.

Chas