IGNORED

On-Glass Antennas

TomoHawk

I was considering a replacement for the aging powered antenna.  I considered a flexible rubber one, because it's compact and doesn't need polishing.  Then I discovered the on-glass "hidden" antennas.  Metra makes one and the Shakespeare 4353.  These things look like a thin copper "snake" (as if it came off a printed circuit board) on a piece of tape.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of stuff?  It looks like the on-glass part would be nice, as long as you can find a place where you can stick it (the lower-right corner?) but it's still there if you look, and there is a little black box that will probably be seen no matter where you stick the antenna strip, and it needs 12Volts.

I tried one and it did not work at all with my factory radio.  I then hooked it upto a modern digital tuning radio & had similar.  I ended up going back to my 12" rubber ducky antenna which works the best for both head units.

How tall is that antenna? Do you get a good range with it? I get about 70-80 miles on the new car (for FM radio) and about the same on the Zed, on a good day.  I would mount it in place of the factory antenna.

Would you mind sharing the make & model of the antenna?