IGNORED

Best Way To Clean Older Glass?

yakhopper

Just about have my 71 ready for the road, and cant find anything to clean the rear hatch glass. The car sat in a carport in the fresno heat for over 15 years, and now it has a baked on ?

Tried a few things (mostly on the outside) with not much luck, and I am trying to be careful about the defrost strips.

Any help or suggestions always greatlyappreciated.

;0)

post-22167-0-08227900-1422115708_thumb.j

I've used RainX deep cleaning glass product and elbow grease on my windshield interior and exterior. I did the rear hatch also. It got off years of grime but alas, not the scratches. I've also heard of using a Dry #0000 Steel wool pad to polish the glass but I haven't tried that yet.  Do be careful of your defrost strips with whatever method you use.  Keep us posted with your results.

hello , I agree to ultra fine steel wool . This recommendation came from a restoration shop owner that I know well . The glass was washed well with soapy water and then dried thoroughly . then hand cleaned with the wool and nothing else . worked well for me .

cya  chris  , 

• Like 1

High quality car wax does wonders you will be surprised.  Then use barkeeper’s friend or Bonami on the spots that did not clear up.  Don't use any scouring powder Commit and others have courts and will leave micro scratches.  Bonami has feldspar instead and is softer than glass.  If that don't work Mothers and several other makes a glass polish to remove blemishes.

The used Subie that I recently purchased had spots all over the glass. I first tried glass cleaner, then lacquer thinner,my next attempt was going to be abrasive, then I remembered the clay bar, it worked better than I imagined. My dad used to use Colgate tooth powder to remove scratches. Something he learned in WWII. It worked exceptionally well.

Mark

I watched a mechanic use a power buffer and Meguiars Mirror glaze to clean a windshield up with deep wiper scratches in it. None of the abrasive methods will work with the defrost strips. Toothpaste, bar clay, car wax all work because they have fine abrasives in them...

C

Before you try the cerium oxide, I'd suggest you get yourself a tube of Mothers water spot remover.  I use on my cars in the Spring and mid-summer to get the last bit of gunk out of the glass (especially the front)  and get it crystal-clear again.  Cerium oxide and any other powders are what I'd call destructive, so  I'd recommend against it unless you need to remove some ripples or pits.

Colgate tooth powder is about the same thing as the detergent you put in your dishwasher, but a slightly finer grind.