IGNORED

S30 Demand And Value - Stock Vs Modified

aongch

I know this is a 'tech' forum but just can't find the best place to put this. Chit chat forum, or ? And guys, I searched did not pull up anything. Anyway, I'd like to keep my S30 as clean as possible to keep its value. I know that my 240Z is going towards a track day build but still keeping it streetable (brakes, lights, signals working, registered). This is not a daily driver, though. It has a 6-pt cage and will add box section for secure fuel cell under-floor mount (road race legal) for best safety, etc etc. But, compared to orig stock examples out there, how can I preserve its value? Do tracked Zs fetch much less than stockers if not abused? 

For example, will cutting into the floor for the cell and welded-on chassis bracing lessen its value, marketability? How about my engine swap? Or, it won't matter as long as the car is kept away from rust and maintained in and out? I know there are different markets out there but comments and past experiences? 

Thanks for your inputs. 

The short answer is that a highly modified car will be of less value than stock in the longrun.  I would argue it would cost more money to bring a raceday Z back to stock than the other way around.

Try doing a search history on Ebay to compare active and completed auction prices of stock versus modified example in similar condition. That should provide you with an initial baseline of value for comparison.

If i were buying your car and using it as my daily driver or weekend cruiser, I would want a spare tire well. Do they make fuel cells that don't require the spare tire well being cut out?  The frame strenghtening im ok with because i would know that the car was previously

raced but there may be buyers out there that may be sucpicious that it was used to cover a buckled frame rail or a rusty frame.

Perhaps take before and after pics to prove your modification was for racing purposes?

Good points, makes sense that back-to-stock would be the harder conversion. The spare tire well has been cut out, but the only mod on the floor so far is the sheetmetal to cover up the tire 'hole'. I'm all for keeping the rest of the floor stock which is still in great shape. The fuel cell location matters, must be totally out of the passenger compartment, safest per most race orgs. What I want is, instead of cutting out the floor area the size of the tank, I'm opting to mount the tank underneath with 1" sectional 'cage', and a trap door for fuel filling. Hopefully the trap door can be at the same tire metal cover so not to cut out any more of the stock floor. The cage will welded to the side frame rails behind the rear tires and the Aeromotive fuel pump and dual filters will also be mounted under the floor.  

Great idea to take before and after pics of any area to be welded for chassis bracing or fuel cell mounts. I'm already documenting on a spreadsheet all the mods, install dates, vendors, etc.

My track days will not be too extensive, 5-10 events per year, other times will be attending club meets, shows, cruises etc, the fun social stuff :)

Keep the suggestions coming. Oh, another aesthetic, will my body colored ZG flares add or diminish value?

Modifications can narrow your selling options. The more specific and subjective your tastes, the more you define a likely buyer when the time comes. As suggested, an ebay search shows there's a market out there for just about any car, but the more you spend on making it "yours", the less return you might see for the money spent.

Look at this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-Series-/301471266785 it had a lot of action and was not sold .The same  car was on Ebay this past summer  with bids in the mid 20"s and was taken out the auction then by a private seller in Florida and sold . Now been offered by a Dealer in New Jersey. IMO the market and value are dictated by the condition of the car, be it old school "unmolested'' or a "hybrid" Z, my 2 cents.

Yeah, the Reserve was not met on that recent auction, thanks for the link and example. I am keeping any upgrades, esp. requiring welding, to the minimum, preserving the chassis as much as possible. For tracking, though, I do need at least a solidly braced frame, hence the roll cage, much safer to reduce flex and better crash worthiness. I suppose keeping upgrades to a time period might be more desirable - ZG flares, Watanabes, fender mirrors, engine type, etc. - targets a more specific market. I'm not adding a wing for aero's sake, BRE spoiler will do.

This will not end well If you are looking for return on investment. You don't need a roll bar and fuel cell to do autocross, HPDE's or track days. If your main goal is to recover what you put in this thing return it to stock, add strut bars and have fun.

Points well taken, I can in no way compete with stock value. But my goal is to track safely, this is an OLD structure, hence the 6-pt roll bar/cage to tighten it and under-floor mounted ATL cell (will be per SCCA specs) for crash safety. It is after all an RB26DETT hybridZ, not going back to stock. Also keeping most mods period correct (BRE, ZG), and planning on only 5-8 track days per year, the rest enjoying shows and Z car events. Right now car and mods are about $20-22K. 

IMG_3923x.jpg

ZCuscotypeST.jpg

IMG_4038.jpg

I want to get baselines first, now on stock turbos, minor tune at 8.5 lbs boost, just under 260whp. Car was also cornerweighted, 2450 lbs with 8 gals gas, no driver. My target is the E46 M3 I'm pushing now at the track, which I will sell soon. We'll see, but I'm looking for stepped upgrades w/o destroying much of the exterior aesthetics. But, safety has to be addressed first!  

Yes, and I understand while driving it occasionally on the street there is the risk that cage can do major damage, but can't do anything about that, keeping my belts tight is the best I can do.  

AUGUSTZ.jpg

Feb-15-2014-SpeedVentures-Green-Turn9-NI