IGNORED

Small Fuel Leak On One End Of Fuel Filter Of 240Z

jalexquijano

This morning i started the engine of my 240z and pull the choke to 2,500 RPM in order to warm it up for 3 minutes. Once warmed up i released it and check on the engine for any leaks. I discovered a very small leak on one of the ends of the fuel filter. Just a small leak and the filter is full. Could this be normal and i am in danger of causing a fire in the engine?

Please advise how to solve this issue, i tried tightnening the screws that hold the hoses but it does not move any further.

Thanks,

It's not normal and any fuel leak could pose a fire risk.  You either have a cracked fuel filter or split fuel line.  Take the line off and cut it back an inch then stick it back on.  Tighten the clamp.  If it still drips your filter is cracked.

most likely the clamp cut into the fuel line

Thanks.

My car has the following clear fuel filter installed since 2011:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/p2031712/sku-1044796.jcwx?filterid=c2018d1659u0j1

The leak comes out from the black screw on adapter which are plastic.

That link didn't show a filter, just JC Whitney's home page.

Here's what mine have, http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MGD0/33087/02515.oap?year=1972&make=Nissan&model=240Z&vi=5142640&ck=Search_02515_5142640_1149&pt=02515&ppt=C0359

first, then I use these before the pump.

$T2eC16dHJF8E9nnC8IHdBRE,5o7bHw~~60_35.J

then these before each carburetor,

6180040_dwk_dw762_pri_larg.jpg

Not sure if those are very safe. They can leak where the hoses clamp to the hose barbs (like any filter), also where the hose barbs screw in to the filter. There are O-rings at each end, they can leak too, especially if they're made of rubber that's not ethanol-

resistant.

If there's a fuel pump before the filter it can leak gas. If it's a mechanical pump after the filter it can let in air bubbles.