IGNORED

Engine Block Paint Code Search- Another Dead End

djwarner

After 186K mile, I've decided it's time to rebuild the bottom end of my L24. Figured since the engine would be out, it would be a good time to paint the block.

Researching this forum, I saw a reference to Glidden code GL31557 as the Nissan OEM color. I decided to contact Glidden to see if they would have formula for that color. When I contacted them, it appears the automotive paint products were sold to PPG.

I contacted the PPG color library. They could not match the code but found two engine codes for Datsun, a Blue-Gray # 19885 and a light green #48104. Unfortunately, these codes only came in an expensive, single stage Acrylic Urethane paint and would require an Epoxy Primer.

While this combination would be a hassle, it would be worth it to get a fresh, non-faded color sample for others to color match. They did not have any color chips or online resources to confirm the color and referred me a local distributor. So this afternoon, I took a 30 mile trip to the nearest distributor and had him mix up a pint.

I was expecting a darker teal blue from my memory of my '68 510, but when they brought up the can with a sample dot, it was definitely a medium gray with just a tinge of blue. They double checked the formula it was correct - just not anywhere near the color needed.

So just another blind alley. Hope this posting helps others avoid the waste of time.

• Like 1

post-22804-0-64132200-1421285488_thumb.j

We found a fairly unmolested part (back side of a idler piece) that was a pretty good representation of the original block & block parts color (idlers, brackets, and etc.) and took it to a local paint shop to have them match color and make us a formula for future use.  I thought they'd give us the formula itself, but no...  We can just go back in at any time and ask for this color and they'll mix it up.  Still, it turned out pretty darn close and we ended up with plenty of block paint for the shop.  (the picture above is not that great - too much sun - washed it out a little)

• 3 weeks later...

I work in a shop restoring wooden boats from the 30s-50s,   lots of times we run into paint and colors that we need to match exact.   We have a really good paint shop local that picks up samples and matches the color with a computer program.  they can mix it in any paint we would like acrylic, enamel, 2 part, or a high temp rattle can.  

I know an engine block is a hard thing to transport for a paint sample. 

They don't give us the formula either but they keep it on file so we can call and reorder. 

• 2 months later...