IGNORED

[2015] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

Changes the front breakes on my 76.  Took about 30 minutes should be good for at least 20 years.  The last set lasted at least 25.

Got them from RockAuto they were Wagner PD161 for $20 shipped.

The saga of my "new" ZTherapy carbs continues.  Got the ZTherapy carbs within the promised timeframe and  swapped them out for my original 44 year old set.  ( Pictures here:  http://www.classiczcars.com/gallery/album/517-ztherapy-carbs/  ).

My mechanic installed the carbs and noted gas spewing from the float bowl hose on the front carb.  I called ZTherapy and they have a replacement hose in the mail to me - good folks to deal with.

I'm looking forward to getting the Z back on the road next week.  Then the fun begins as I get the body ready for paint and new window gaskets.  Too much fun!  I still need the small piece of rear hatch glass stainless trim ( top corner piece, passenger side ) if anyone has a spare sitting in a box in the garage.

Dennis

Carbs aren't my only issue at the moment.  I have a leak around the transmission port where the speedometer drive gear is located.  The two required seals pictured in the following link are still available from Nissan ( http://www.classiczcars.com/gallery/album/524-speedometer-gear-seals/ ) as part #s 32709-14600  and 32710-14600  and also from MSA.  MSA is about $1 cheaper for the pair plus shipping and a week's wait as they travel through the postal system.  My local Nissan dealer had then to me in two days.

Dennis

I agree, Ztherapy is a great model for small business owners. They've got it right.

Can't wait to see the new paint. What code number is yours? Will you paint the spoilers with the radar paint? SMILEY

Good memory on you about the aircraft radome paint on my spoiler.  The days are far behind when I could stroll into the aircraft fabrication shop on base and ask for my broken spoiler to be fixed and painted.  This time will just be plain old off the shelf rattle can black paint after the Z is painted.

It's been at least 115º here most days this week, so hoping for a little cooler weather when I start prepping the body for paint.  Nothing happens quickly.

Dennis

Finally got the last coat of paint on all the suspension parts this evening. On schedule to reassemble everything next weekend.

Did you have to thin that chassis paint much?  Seems pretty thin already and from I read on their website they recommend 5% acetone.  I usually do 30% to 50% on most other paints.  I use a gravity HVLP gun to spray a bunch of light coats, maybe that's why I have to thin it down so much?

Thanks for any tips.

Did you have to thin that chassis paint much?  Seems pretty thin already and from I read on their website they recommend 5% acetone.  I usually do 30% to 50% on most other paints.  I use a gravity HVLP gun to spray a bunch of light coats, maybe that's why I have to thin it down so much?

Thanks for any tips.

I shot it straight from the can.  To date, this paint is the only stuff I've ever sprayed, so I have no basis of comparison, but it seems to go on fine without thinning.  I'm using the Harbor Freight HVLP gun and the tip it comes with (1.4mm, I think).

I'm being patient and letting everything bake in the sun until late in the week before I try reassembling everything, but so far -- fingers crossed! -- I think I had better results with it than I did on the fuel tank.  Just guessing here, but I think letting the primer cure for 4 days might have helped.

• Like 1

Yesterday went out for a bit of a cruise. Got a ticket from a Sheriff's deputy on a motorcycle with forward look radar for 13 over. He knocked it down to 5 over and 1 point. I was totally guilty. I've owned the Zed for 10 years. I have done some serious hooning about in it. I paid the $98 fine...that averages out to $9.80/ year. Cheap for all the fun I've had. Ironically the last speeding ticket I got was in 1975 in my '73 Zed for 30 over. When I think about all the times I could have been busted I just smile.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by Pop's Z
  • Like 2

• Mike locked this topic